Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2010 10:00

Dell Studio 540 won't power up

I have a Dell 540 Studio, running Windows 7.

Last night, I went to bed and the computer was in sleep mode. Everything was working fine. But then I woke up this morning and the computer will not power up at all.

1. I tested the power cord. It works.

2. I tested the outlet. It works.

3. Monitor and all other devices have power.

4. Green light is ON, on the back of the tower for the power supply unit.

5. I unplugged everything (including the power cord) except the keyboard and monitor, held down the power button for 1 minute, then I plugged in the power cord again, tried to power up and still, I got nothing.

6. The fan will not spin when I first plug in the power cord into the power supply unit.

I'm at a loss for why all of a sudden the computer will not work. The computer has no extra parts and the hardware configuration is exactly the way it came from Dell. This computer is not used for any intensive applications other than Google Earth, Open Office writing, and surfing the internet.

What do I do next? How do I fix this issue?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2010 15:00

Xpari

You should be able to buy a power supply from Frys, the 530 Mini Tower does not use a Dell proprietary unit.

A standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2010 20:00

Xpari

Have you tried pressing 'Shift + F10', it should open a 'Edit Boot Options', what is listed? 

Bev.

12 Posts

November 25th, 2010 13:00

Hi Bev,

I have been trying to keep the PC running.  I think the best way to describe the situation is that even after changing the motherboard the computer is giving me the same problems but a little less often.  It still shhuts down randomly and struggles to go on and off and on again until the unplug the power cord.

Do you think it might be some thing other than the motherboard?  I have not yet tried Shift + F10 as it does not stop from booting up and I am worried that I press that, and computer shuts down, it may not be a good situation.

Xpari

7 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 08:00

I have the same problem as the original poster. Is there any way to diagnose the problem using any kind of tools. I read about the POST tool , but it seems to be working only if system is powering on. Just like the original poster my system is not booting at all. Green light in the back. PSU works, tried removing all the cards, etc but nothing. I don't want to spend $100 + on new mobo if it's the CPU. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to test the motherboard for sure. I would not mind buying a diagnostics tool of some kind if it exists for issues like these. Thank you,

29 Posts

March 29th, 2011 10:00

I am wondering if this was ever resolved.  I have found myself in the same position with my Sudio 540n.  I jumped the power supply and everything spun-up, including the hard drives.  So I am guessing that my motherboard needs to be replaced as well.  Has anyone with this problem swapped out the motherboard and successfully fixed their 540?

Tom

3 Posts

March 29th, 2011 11:00

Last fall our 540 had this problem, I replaced the motherboard with a new one and it has been working fine since then.  I seem to recall, it was about $225 for a new board.

Rob

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 29th, 2011 12:00

Thos19

A Dell OEM Studio 540 refurbished motherboard can be purchased @ $99 from HERE

Bev.

4 Posts

March 30th, 2011 16:00

I too have this problem. Following the suggestions on this thread I did the jumper trick on the main power supply connector. As others have noted here, the power supply and hard drives started working so I figured it was not the power supply and ordered the $99 replacement motherboard also suggested in this thread. I just installed it and tried powering it up. Same result. Green light is on on the power supply but that's it. Trying to get through to Dell support now so I can let them clean my wallet out. Massively bummed out.

29 Posts

March 30th, 2011 19:00

I just tried tonight to install a refurb motherboard and got the identical result.  Green led lights on the back, I press the power button and the fans spin briefly and then go dead, as does the LED on the back.  The LED on the on/off button never lights any color at all.   Very frustrating.  I hope Mr. Tubridy posts again with a report of how he fared with Dell Support.

Thos.

29 Posts

March 31st, 2011 07:00

I guess that's my next step.  OMAKAD: Can you tell me the make and model of the PSU you purchased for your 540?

Thanks,

Thos. 

4 Posts

March 31st, 2011 09:00

I guess the good news is that they didn't charge me the $59 fee since my system is out of warranty. They bad news is that they were not very helpful. They basically told me to call Geek Squad and have them look at it. They felt it was a power supply issue but had no comment when I described the test that I ran jumping the pins on the main mother board. Based on some of the other comments in this thread my next step will be to re-install the original mother board and replace the power supply. That's what my first gut reaction was when it failed last weekend. It's just that in all of my other experience with computer problems (including several bad power supplies, memory and graphics cards) I have never had such a hard failure like this. I'll let the thread know what I find out.

7 Posts

March 31st, 2011 09:00

Its' by Diablotek. DA 400 Series. 400 Watt ATX PSU.

7 Posts

March 31st, 2011 14:00

Nope, it fit right in. No issues. No cutting, five min install.

29 Posts

March 31st, 2011 14:00

Thanks, OMAKAD,  Was it difficult to get it to fit in the Studio case, especially with that toggle switch?

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2011 19:00

Replaced the PSU - booted fine. Anyone need a refurbished motherboard?

No Events found!