Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2009 17:00

Dell Studio XPS 8000 - 4GB Installed BIOS shows 2GB - 64 Bit Windows 7

I'm having this problem with my XPS where Windows 7 System information reports 4.00 GB installed but 1.99 GB usable.  However, when I check in my BIOS system information it reports that I only have 2048MB/2GB installed and available.  I am running on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium. 

Since Windows 7 reports 4GB installed, does that mean I'm capable of using all 4GB even though the BIOS only shows 2GB installed and Windows 7 says only 1.99GB is usable or not?

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone had and resolved this problem?

Thanks to whoever can help me with this.

7 Posts

June 1st, 2011 22:00

Hate to say it, but my problem is back! Dell XPS9000 purchased Feb '10. Dell replaced the mobo and mem last Nov., but now it's showing 7.99 MB usable again (out of 12 MB installed)--just like last time. Sure hope they can fix it permanently this time... Would this be covered if it was out of warranty I wonder, since it's an "existing" issue?

1 Message

June 12th, 2011 23:00

My XPS 8000 doesn't recognize all 8GB of ram either. I've had my computer for over a year and it's always been kinda slow - but I didn't know half my ram was AWOL until yesterday when a techie friend offered to help me shop for more memory. He asked for a screen shot of my system properties (see below), then asked why all my ram isn't usable. I had no idea why... until Google lead me to this thread.

I spent $1000 on an 8GB machine so I assumed I had an 8GB machine. Of course now that I know better, my computer is out of warranty. I called tech support anyway - hoping they'd understand the situation and do something to fix it (since this is obviously a documented problem w/this model). 2.5+ mind-numbing hours later, we'd tested the memory cards (all ok) and the slots (not all ok). The tech went into my machine thru Dell Connect and updated the BIOS from A01 to A03. This didn't fix the problem.

So I was told my motherboard "went bad" and I needed to buy a new one. I argued, saying my motherboard did not "go bad", it came bad. I just didn't know any better. I pointed the tech support guy to this thread to show that this is a known issue. Spent 20 minutes arguing and still got nowhere. Hung up, turned off my computer and called it a night. 

Today when I turned my computer back on, it didn't boot. Just beeps, nothing else happens. DEAD!!

More hours on the phone with tech support. They had me check (3 times) that the memory cards are seated. They are seated and my computer is still dead. From reading this forum, I'm guessing the BIOS 'fix' is what killed it. But since I'm out of warranty, tech support says they can't do anything else to help me - unless I buy an extended warranty. Customer Care can't help me either -- unless I buy an extended warranty.

Except for the missing 4GB of ram, my computer was fine until yesterday. Now my computer is a brick. And Dell wants me to buy a warranty to fix a problem Dell tech support created for me?? No freaking way.

I sent a msg to a forum moderator who's been tracking the AWOL ram issue. Is there anything else I can do to revive my machine?? Situation is pretty desperate now that my computer is a brick. Phone support was so horrendous I cannot go back there. 5 hours of going around in circles, telling the same story over and over again but getting nowhere nearly brought me to tears. VERY angry, extremely frustrated tears.

Help?!?!

98 Posts

October 27th, 2011 01:00

Here was my fix and hopefully for the others too.

* Click START then type "MSCONFIG" in the search bar.

* Hit the "BOOT" tab then the "ADVANCED OPTIONS" button.

* Uncheck the box for MAXIMUM MEMORY - hit OK - hit APPLY - hit OK.

* Shutdown your pc.

* Install one memory stick then boot up. Check Windows System info to see if it is having all the ram as usable. If you installed 1 x 2gb, check if usable is 2gb or something close like 1.73gb or something. As long as it is not half or lower, you should be on the right path.

* Add the other memory sticks but do it one at a time while rebooting and checking System info

Make sure that the sticks "click" when you install it. I dont know if this is an issue but I always put the locking tabs in the locked position even though there are no mem sticks installed in a particular socket.

Goodluck!

No Events found!