Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2013 07:00

Dell Vostro 430 compatibility issues with Crucial 1333Mhz Ballistix Sport?

Hi,

I have a Dell Vostro 430 with the Core i7-860.

I've had it for over 3 years and not had any real problems with it, however I upgraded the memory recently to this -  Crucial 12GB DDR 1333Mhz Ballistix Sport

It ran absolutely fine for a week or so, not a single crash, but suddenly yesterday it was throwing up constant errors, I couldn't open any applications and I keep getting BSODs.

I wasn't sure if it was a virus due to a couple of factors, including Microsoft Security Essentials being disabled for no reason, and also the computer runs fine in safe mode, or in regular Windows with services disabled, but then reading through these forums it looks like there are a number of RAM compatibility issues... is the RAM I purchased suitable?

I also do not know which slots to put them in... some slots are black, some are blue, or does it not matter?

Many thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 18th, 2013 07:00

Thank you both! :)

It did turn out to be one faulty memory chip, so I'm going to raise a return now...

One quick question, I will then have 3 x 4GB sticks

Would it be beneficial to get an additional 4GB stick so I have two pairs? (I could probably use the extra memory also)

Thanks

blizeH

Yes, it would, two pairs is the way to go.

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 17th, 2013 10:00

Hi blizeH,

The issue could be due to an application or a driver as the system runs properly in Safe Mode and with services disabled in Normal Mode. Vostro 430 supports DDR3-1333MHz PC3-10600 modules and the Crucial modules seems to be compatible as per the information provided on their website. You can fix the RAM modules to any three continuous slots. I suggest you to run a thorough virus scan to check for any possible infections and let me know about your findings.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 17th, 2013 14:00

Hi,

I have a Dell Vostro 430 with the Core i7-860.

I've had it for over 3 years and not had any real problems with it, however I upgraded the memory recently to this -  Crucial 12GB DDR 1333Mhz Ballistix Sport

It ran absolutely fine for a week or so, not a single crash, but suddenly yesterday it was throwing up constant errors, I couldn't open any applications and I keep getting BSODs.

I wasn't sure if it was a virus due to a couple of factors, including Microsoft Security Essentials being disabled for no reason, and also the computer runs fine in safe mode, or in regular Windows with services disabled, but then reading through these forums it looks like there are a number of RAM compatibility issues... is the RAM I purchased suitable?

I also do not know which slots to put them in... some slots are black, some are blue, or does it not matter?

Many thanks

blizeH

As Crucial memory is sold as being compatible, best to contact Crucial's excellent Technical Support.

http://www.crucial.com/contact/

Regards to the memory installation, the first pair of modules should be installed in the 2 x Blue DIMMS and the second pair in the 2 x Black DIMMS.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-430_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

18 Posts

June 18th, 2013 03:00

Thank you both! :)

It did turn out to be one faulty memory chip, so I'm going to raise a return now...

One quick question, I will then have 3 x 4GB sticks

Would it be beneficial to get an additional 4GB stick so I have two pairs? (I could probably use the extra memory also)

Thanks

18 Posts

June 19th, 2013 04:00

Thanks Bev! Will order another stick

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 19th, 2013 07:00

blizeH

Happy to have helped.

FYI: Just went though the same situation, had a 4 year old Crucial DDR2 2gb module fail, contacted Crucial under their lifetime warranty, found their US based Technical Support excellent, as always and received the replacement within 10 days. You will need to obtain a RMA from Crucial.

I used Crucial's Cross-ship Exchange.  Then Crucial will ship your new product if you agree to have the new purchase charged to your credit card (if applicable) at the time of shipment.

When Crucial receives the returned product, they will issue you a credit, that I received in three days.

Bev.

Edited to add content

No Events found!