Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2012 05:00

Dell XPS 2700 constantly fails to boot in Windows 8

I purchased the Dell XPS 2700 (the non-touch model) early in October knowing a touch screen model would come out later this year for Windows 8. Since I don't require a touch panel and the device is exactly the same otherwise I bought it anyway.

From the first day I noticed some dust behind the glass at the top of the screen, which I can't get rid of without removing the glass planel and I shouldn't have to do on a brand new 1500 euro machine... It's barely visible on a colored background, only on a very light background, so fine I can live with it.

On day 3 I noticed a lazy pixel near the left edge of the screen, I tried all the known methods to activate lazy pixels again but without any luck. It's green and only visible on a black or dark background and on the very edge of my screen, so fine I can live with it.

I upgraded to Windows 8 the day it came out and have had nothing but problems since.
Many of the buttons on the screen don't work anymore, like ejecting a dvd or adjusting volume even when I reinstalled all drivers in compatibility mode. Fine I get it, it's a new OS, obviously not all drivers work. Reverting back to Windows 7 for a while wasn't an option, the install of Windows 8 made the recovery partition completely invisible, I can only see it when trying to do a clean install of Windows, otherwise I can't access it at all. Now that the touch panel model is out, so are the Windows 8 drivers and I thought this would fix my problems but installing any of the new Windows 8 drivers prevents my system from booting altogether.

I get the blue screen saying Windows encountered a problem and will attempt to fix, followed by the automatic repair loading screen. Which brings me to the next blue screen with a lot of repair options:

• Going back to a previous system restore point: doesn't work, still can't properly boot
  • Refresh (aka losing every installed program but keeping my files): doesn't work, still can't boot
  • Revert (aka losing everything): doesn't work either, still can't boot
  • The only option left is to do a clean install from the Windows 8 dvd (which luckily I've burned a copy of): this final resort works, but come on

To be honest I'm getting pretty sick of this. I thought Dell was supposed to stand for quality but I'm starting to doubt that if their own drivers create more issues than they solve. This is the first Dell I've ever purchased and I'm thinking it'll also be the last. The XPS 2700 is supposed to compete with the iMac but all the iMacs we have at work have dual boot with OSX Mountain Lion & Windows 8 and none of them are having as much trouble as me with my native Windows 7 dell.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice on how to get this thing running the way it's supposed to, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance,
David

*Written on my Macbook Pro because my XPS 2700 is reinstalling a clean Windows 8 (again).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 8th, 2012 07:00

What did Support do about the screen problems?  You should go back to windows 7 factory Settings using the Recovery Disks you made or the hidden recovery partition and contact support. Warning--the only way to clean install windows 8 is to use the Remove everything and reinstall option within windows 8 pc settings, You cannot use the disk you made to do an old fashioned clean install since it is an upgrade disk. It will search for a valid windows 7 installation before reformatting and installing. More info at the windows 8 MS site and MS forums http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8?tab=all   

1 Message

October 17th, 2013 20:00

I purchased the XPS 2700 directly from Dell.  One would assume that such an expensive and well reviewed machine would provide trouble free computing.  Wrong.  After two, yes two weeks the screen began to flash on and off at a rate of 2 times per second.  At that point I could restart the machine to get it to boot up the Windows 8.

The problem only worsened and in a day or two the machine tried to repair itself but to no avail.  After speaking with a Dell Tech and running a few diagnostics I was told that a new Hard Drive needs to be installed.  Really ?  Two weeks and this needs to be replaced.

After speaking with Dell on Monday I was informed that I would be contacted by a Field Service Repair the next day latest.  It is now Friday and no call.  I took it upon myself to call Dell twice to get some answers and I did.  The Driver Disk is back ordered but the HD is not.  Now I am told that the Tech could have come and installed the HD and can download the Driver Disk online.  Hey Dell, thanks for wasting a week of my working life because you are out of stock on a disk and your Tech's can't figure out that the disk can be downloaded.

I simple e mail or daily contact with a valued customer to let them know where things stand would be a great strategic move.  I am running a business here and your quality issues have cost my business a valuable week at a critical time.  Very disappointed and as a first time Dell customer you can be sure that I shall not return.

No Events found!