Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2014 05:00

Dell XPS 2720 - On-Screen Display (OSD) Can't Adjust Volume in Windows 8

I'm using my Dell XPS 2720 HDMI-In in playing Xbox. Unfortuntely, Dell's On Screen Display Volume control doesn't work for me. Everything works (Source, Brightness) except for volume (mine stuck at 10)

Dell acknowledges this issue on Windows 8 machines here in this link but doesn't offer any help on how to resolve it:

OSD limitations in Windows 8 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/bb/en/bbdhs1/SLN289279/EN

Is there a utility that Dell or 3rd party developers have that can override the volume control of the display/machine itself? I have no idea how to increase the volume on this. Thanks guys!

1 Attachment

1 Message

October 24th, 2014 11:00

Dell--how can you just list this as a known bug and walk away from it.  You shipped these machines with Windows 8, so it's inexcusable that the OSD controls simply don't work.  I use this machine as a television via its HDMI port and I'm unable to adjust the volume from level 27.  When will this be fixed and what value is there in the HDMI input if volume can't be adjusted?

15 Posts

October 24th, 2014 19:00

For the record. It did work when I got the machine with the initial Windows 8 installed. Upgradig to 8.1 broke it. Really hope Dell addresses this fairly simple bug

5 Posts

November 14th, 2014 14:00

I have the same problems with my XPS, I've been back and forth with Dell for 3 Months. Dell has changed my hard drive twice to no avail (it did change the volume level but still no control).

Dell says they will be finally sending a different computer soon so we will see.

I bought this top of the line computer so I could use the HDMI input.

Do they make a remote control for these?

5 Posts

November 19th, 2014 15:00

Dell sent me a new XPS with windows 8.1 installed. The HDMI now works fine......   I still wish there was a remote control for it.

3 Posts

December 25th, 2014 03:00

Hi Dell support i have the same problem. Do you want me to send the computer back?? It look's like this is the only way to fix the problem??

1 Message

January 21st, 2015 09:00

Same issue.  No Audio on HDMI input (from xbox 360).  Upgraded to 8.1.  I never tried it on the pre-installed OS.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2015 20:00

I am not going through this and waiting for my second replacement pc, my volume is stuck on 68 percent and I didn't know this was a problem. Dell needs to find a fix for this and stop selling these. I feel they are selling deceptively and for us customers who are past our return period to get our  money back we have no choice but to keep the computer. I will not accept any computer that I buy that doesn't work correctly. By law you have the right to ask for a new replacement computer and can continue to ask for a new one if the one they send you has problems that can't be fixed. Dell used to be great 20 years ago now there is no Usa tech support everything is over seas and a lot of times I can't understand some of the people or they don't understand me which makes for a all day tech day to try to fix something. I feel those of us who keep getting bad computers and have spent days and many many hours with tech support to be compensated for all the hassle we have been through. As long as your pc is under warranty by law they have to send you a new replacement pc and you dont' have to settle for another model either. I have personally had it and praying the next one works right.

4 Posts

wow, so what is Dell doing for you to fix the problem? Are they sending you a new replacement pc? If not you have the right to ask for one. I am on my 2n replacement pc and I refuse to keep a pc that doesn't work. we spend our hard earned money on something that should work period. I hope we all get the problem resolved. Dell needs to do something to make a fix for this and not jerk people around. Good luck

4 Posts

That link is missing do you know where it went by chance, and what has dell done for you to resolve the problem? I am waiting to get a new replacement pc this will be the second one so I hope this one works if not I will keep requesting a new replacement pc until they get it right. I have lost respect for Dell for selling these knowing there is a problem. Good luck to you and everyone with this problem

1 Message

May 7th, 2015 19:00

I need help I have a dell xps 2720 everything seemed fine until I connected my Xbox one but I am getting no audio. I cannot change volume and it's stuck on 100% but still no sound 

4 Posts

May 9th, 2015 15:00

Hi sadly Dell continues to sell these computers knowing their is a problem with the Volume on the on screen display. If you just bought this Computer recently demand that Dell Spends you a new Replacement computer. My problem was a little different my value is stuck at 60% and I Cant increase or decrease volume. I am using a ps3. I haven't heard of anyone not having any volume with it stuck At 100%. I heard the osD volume problem is caused by windows 8.1. Dell knows about this and they should stop selling these until they put win 10 on them and hopefully the problem goes away. Have you tried switching your Hdmi cable around as that may be the problem. Have it connected the wrong way-good luck to you.

5 Posts

May 10th, 2015 18:00

Since Dell replaced my computer I have had no problems with the volume (Running 8.1). I'm not sure I'd buy another Dell with their slow reaction to this known problem.

15 Posts

May 10th, 2015 20:00

If you're running Windows 8.1. I'll probably try to to a recovery and start from factory settings. Then try to adjust the volume from the OSD see if that works. I would be doing exactly just that when I get enough "free" days but right now I'm just thinking of waiting until Windows 10 to do a full reformat so I don't have to do it twice.

Again, it worked for me right out of the box, just not after upgrading to 8.1. Maybe we can set it at a comfortable volume on 8,upgrade to 8.1 and hope that 10 fixes this.

5 Posts

May 10th, 2015 21:00

My replacement Dell came with 8.1 installed.

No Events found!