Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2009 18:00

Dell XPS 410 Noise

I have had my XPS 410 for about 1 1/2 years and I have always had a noise issue.  At first it was determined that the video card (8600GTS) was the main culprit and Dell replaced it.  However, the computer still "hums" quite a bit.  This might be normal, but I've read quite a few comments on the web about how people say their XPS 410 is super quiet and that they can barely tell it's on.  I'm sorry, but I can always tell that my computer is on by the noise, especially when my house is quiet.  The only time my computer is quiet is when it's in "sleep" mode.  Am I being unrealistic or do most of you who own this PC think it's "whisper quiet"?

561 Posts

January 21st, 2009 18:00

I've had my xps 410 for over 2 years and all I hear is a slight whirring of the GPU fan(7600GT). Every now and then the plastic black front cover will rattle a little when I'm  burning a dvd/cd. I just give it a firm push and the slight rattle stops.

Roger1955

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 22:00

Thanks for sharing.  I definitely hear more than the GPU fan.  I can hear the front fan pretty well and some other type of hum.

February 3rd, 2009 23:00

I'm so glad someone else has noticed, and described, the annoying humming sound of the XPS 410. Mine has been doing this since I bought it more than a year ago. Figured all along I could fix it somehow, but more than a year later, still stuck with an expensive, and buzzing PC.

Seems to be the case itself that hums. If you rock the case from side to side, you might luck out and the buzz will go away very temporarily. But if the machine shifts even a little, even due to you walking by it, the buzz returns.

Tried pulling a towel under the case -- helps -- but doesn't solve the buzz. Heard someone else say that a piece of shag carpet is enough to dampen the vibrations. Haven't tried that yet. Seems pretty ridiculous the quality of the case given that the XPS line is Dell's "top of the line." Wish I could get a replacement somehow... Oh well.

Any other 410 owners have any suggestions on how to quiet the buzz?

1 Message

May 19th, 2009 14:00

Yes - it drives me nuts.  I have one of those hand squish balls that you use for hand exercises - I put it in between the case and the computer desk.  It stops it for a few minutes, but starts again.  I take the ball in and out all day.  Heard any good tips?

Thanks,

Monique

No Events found!