Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 30th, 2016 17:00

Dell XPS - 630i replaced motherboard setup - no display - beep code not listed in the Manual

The XPS 630i motherboard failed (the Ethernet port and both PCI Express slots were not functioning).

I replaced the motherboard with one purchased on eBay and I used the CPU & memory sticks from the old motherboard, plus the GE Force GT640 video card and the hard drive with the previous installation of Windows7 on it, but then (due to health issues) it sat incompleted for a year. It just needed the waterblock and cooling system installed, which is just recently completed.

When attempting to start the computer, it plays a continuous beep for 25 seconds, pauses for 10 seconds, beeps again for 5 seconds, pauses again for 10 seconds, beeps again for 5 seconds, then stops.

There's no video display.

I realize I may have to reset BIOS / CMOS, yet with no video display, I'm seeking to respond to this beep's meaning, learn what that means first - and then generally how to set up this new installation from here.

Thanks,
Rob (archer5013)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 3rd, 2016 12:00

Are you sure the replacement motherboard actually works?

Beep codes for the 630i start on page 91 of the manual.

You can clear BIOS simply by removing the motherboard battery:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Install a fresh 3-volt CR2032 lithium ion battery
  6. Close case and reboot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

June 3rd, 2016 22:00

[1] Are you sure the replacement motherboard actually works?

[2] Beep codes for the 630i start on page 91 of the manual.

[3] You can clear BIOS simply by removing the motherboard battery:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Install a fresh 3-volt CR2032 lithium ion battery
  6. Close case and reboot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

1. Am I "sure" the motherboard works?
No, I have no surety about the condition of the ( used = second hand) motherboard - except that the vendor claimed that it worked prior to removal (he removed the CPU to sell [or use] separately). So the results I reported are from the first startup attempt since the board was installed.

2. I had previously found the beep codes in the Owner's - Manual  = 1 to 7 short beeps only - hence the reason for my question about the beep sequence displayed during the start-up attempt.

3. I applied the battery removal re-set you described & replaced the battery AND I also applied the (Owner's) Manual's instruction to move the CMOS connector from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3 for 30 seconds, then replaced it - all of the above performed while all cables and power cords were removed & power switch pressed and held, as instructed.

There is no change in the resulting start-up beeps from my initial description.
So, I still need to find some way to interpret (diagnose) the start-up condition.

Since this motherboard was ordered and received in February of 2015, I doubt there's any reasonable recourse via the (e-Bay) vendor.

Thanks for your guidance thus far. Are there any Techs who might further assist from this?

~ Rob

(still lost in the Maine woods)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 4th, 2016 19:00

Was there any mention of the version of BIOS installed on the board that you bought?

Recheck that the CPU is correctly seated in its socket with no bent pins. Reseat all cables and make sure the CPU power cable is connected to the motherboard. Reseat, RAM, and add-in cards in their slots. You probably should not install any PCI cards except the video card, or connect any drives except the boot hard drive at least until you get it working again.

Check that the monitor is correctly connected at both ends.

Check to see if the keyboard has a stuck key which can cause a continuous long beep. If you have a known working spare try that or test this one on a different PC.

No Events found!