Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2011 10:00

Dell XPS 700. Black Screen & Loud fan

This morning I went to use my dell xps 700 desktop and I ran into trouble.  The desktop was running like normal, so I turned the monitor on and pressed a couple key, no response, it wouldn't come out of sleep.  I waited a bit and then turned the desktop off and after a short wait back on again.  When I turned it out the fan kicked in at a high speed and wouldn't quiet down and the screen on the monitor was the same, black.

After reading some posts I dusted out the inside of the desktop, switched out the video card with another I have.  Plugged it all back in and turned it on.  Same thing loud fan and black screen.  I noticed a light turn on, on the mother board and the disc drive works.  Everything seems to be running, so I'm not sure if its a power supply problem or what.  

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 6th, 2011 11:00

BTW: Can you try a different video cable between monitor and PC? And is the video cable correctly connected at both ends?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 6th, 2011 11:00

What version of Windows?

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or another monitor on this PC?

What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on the front panel? If they don't flash and then all go off, look up error codes here.

6 Posts

November 6th, 2011 13:00

I hooked it up to another monitor with a different cable and got the same result.

6 Posts

November 6th, 2011 13:00

oh and I'm using windows 7 and there are no blinking color lights on the desktop.  The on button is just glowing dark orange, kinda how it would normally look on sleep mode I believe.

14.4K Posts

November 6th, 2011 15:00

A Blinking power button light means either a component or the power supply has a problem. It sounds like from your troubleshooting that the Power supply is Ok, as well as your video card. So what you should try next is to remove all your ram sticks and disconnect the power connectors on all your drives. Power on the system and see if anything changes. If the indications are the same I would suspect the motherboard. IF anything did change then start adding in parts one at at time. Start with on stick of ram in slot #1 the slot closest to the processor.  Do this with each stick.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 6th, 2011 15:00

From the manual: If the power light is steady amber, a device may be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

• Remove and then reinstall the memory modules (see Memory).
  • Remove and then reinstall any cards

If that doesn't help, you may need to strip it down to bare essentials. Power off and unplug; press/hold power button for ~15 sec.  Disconnect all peripherals, except mouse, monitor and keyboard, disconnect all drives except boot hard drive, remove all PCI cards, except video. Remove all RAM modules, except the one in slot 1.

Then remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and try to boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected. If that works, start adding RAM back to the other slots.  If the first module doesn't work in slot 1, swap the other modules into slot 1 to see if you can ID a bad module.

If you can get it to boot, reinstall components, one at a time, until you find a bum item. Always power/off unplug, etc before adding/removing any hardware, and do the "battery thing" each time you change what's installed.

No Events found!