Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2011 01:00

Dell XPS 710 motherboard

Hi,

I am on my second motherboard for this xps 710, and it looks like I need another one now!

I bought this machine in 2007 because of its high spec, and its awesome looks. Up until now, I would have been a repeat buyer with dell as im a very loyal type customer.

They have just lost me. I hope they read this!

From what I read on the threads, this is a common problem with the mumboards. Dell needs to address this problem, and inform customers!

I dont mind to spend the money on a new board, but I refuse to have this happen again in a year or so time.

If it wasnt for the looks of this machine, I would have probably replaced it last time it died! Maybe I should break my own taboo and buy a mac.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 12th, 2011 06:00

Ok, their conclusion may be premature based simply on those criteria. Are you getting a solid amber light on blinking? Has the power supply been replaced?

7 Posts

Hi,

Yes Dell replaced the first motherboard.

The problem is that the on button is orange, and the fan just turns at high speed.

My IT colleagues have given me various tasks to diagnose the problem (remove & replace battery, and unplug, replug power cables) and thier conclusion is motherboard.

7 Posts

Orange light is solid.

Power supply seems good, as fans run, and I can hear the drives clicking.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Landyleon,

I'd like to suggest some help if you could explain the problem you are having. Did Dell replace the first motherboard?

7 Posts

None of the other lights on the front of the pc illuminate either by the way.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 12th, 2011 07:00

Did you try the usual things, reseat RAM and cards, etc.?

A refurb motherboard is going to run about $250 or $400 for a new one. There are options to upgrade to an XPS 720 but it gets expensive since not all 710 CPUs are compatible,

7 Posts

October 12th, 2011 07:00

I have a chap coming to have a look at it tonight, but i'm not hopeful for a resolution.

400$ or my euro equivelant is just not justifiable for a motherboard that has a longevity of only 2 years. (almost to the day!)

If you work for Dell, I would be interested to know what your opinion is.

14.4K Posts

October 12th, 2011 09:00

Honestly replace the system and get a new one. These motherboards were very cutting edge when designed and being the first BTX boards made are extremely fragile. This has been known since the begining.

While I share your likes about the system design over all I like others have retired my 720 rig and went and built a new Sandy bridge system. To continually throw money at the system at this point  is just not worth it.

2 Posts

October 12th, 2011 12:00

Chuck the whole system out the door (keep the case if you like it). Buy yourself an Asus rig, mine has lasted me for more than 5 years. Blame fragile design of the board yes, but the question that needs to be asked here is why did they replace the first motherboard with a clearly defective product? The right thing to do would have been to replace the first one with something that is actually reliable.

14.4K Posts

October 12th, 2011 12:00

None of the motherboards were Defective as you believe. The 710 had a some minor improvements over the 700 board and the 720 used a newer chip set.

7 Posts

October 12th, 2011 13:00

such a waste of materials and money! I hate throwing away stuff.

Its still the best looking case ive seen yet! Shame the mobo lets it down. I thought PC's were supposed to be upgradeable etc, that's why I haven't bought a mac so far!

What do we think of Alienware? I see that it is now a part of dell, but are they a good 'off the shelf' replacement?

14.4K Posts

October 12th, 2011 14:00

The original concept of these three systems was that they would be upgradable. The problem came when Intel dropped the BTX design. Since Dell was First to market with this design they were caught flatfooted when Intel dropped the design. Dell did try to make the best of the situation but IMHO they really did not go far enough in trying to make these killer systems. That said the case design is one of the best that Dell has every come up with. I wish that they would have made a kit to help convert the case to allow ATX style boards to fit. Now that would have been a real feather in their caps.

2 Posts

October 12th, 2011 14:00

I am personally not a fan of "off the shelf" machines, you always get stuck in the same shituation that you are now with proprietary stuff, but I have read only good reviews of the product.

1 Message

March 14th, 2012 21:00

I have also have a Dell XPS 710 that I use for my business. The mother board has died for the 5th time (12/3/2012) and I have just been told by Dell they don't have any spare parts and bad luck that I can't fix it. I have all company files on this PC so thanks Dell, how am I mean't too recover all that data????

14.4K Posts

March 15th, 2012 04:00

You will need to pull you hard drive out and on a different computer install your programs then use the drive with all you files as  a secondary drive. Depending on the new system you can put the drive either internally or use an external case to connect the drive

No Events found!