Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 20th, 2008 00:00

Dell XPS 720 Power

Hi, I've had this Dell XPS 720 for about 11 months and within the last few months I've noticed that the 8800gt was running at 72 degrees idle and 90 degrees under load. I can only assume that it was always this way since I've decided to check the temperature relatively recently and from what I've read, that is far too hot for the video card and can decrease the life span. So I went ahead and followed a guide on how to use rivatuner. After setting AutoFanSpeedControl to 3 and adjusting some Tmin, Tmax, etc, controls I have it so that the fan runs at 40% at least gradually escalating to 100% although its never gone higher than 70% after playing a game because it doesn't get that hot anymore.

However, the very next day after setting these fan controls, my Dell wouldn't power up consistently, sometimes giving me a blinking amber light. A few days after that it just wouldn't turn on at all, giving me a blinking amber power light every time I attempted to boot up the machine. After talking to Dell support, they told me to unplug all the components (hard drive, optical drive, sound card, video card, modem, memory), and the power still wouldn't turn on. Dell sent in a tech and replaced my power supply and the machine started working again. It worked for a week until yesterday where again my machine didn't turn on with a blinking amber power light. My machine still turns on more frequently than not but I can only predict that very soon my machine will stop turning on completely again.

What I wanted to ask was whether it is possible that the higher fan speeds on my graphics card are really fooling around with the power supply as it seems to be, or is it a mere coincidence? What should I do about this?

206 Posts

October 20th, 2008 18:00

I've a 720 and an 8800 GTX, I set Riva to ramp the GPU fans from 60% (default, I think) to 80% if the temp goes over 66c, and then 100% if it goes over 71c, and then have them stay that way until the temps cooled back down to 61c. This effectively means during stressful gaming and on hot days, they stay on 100% for hours sometimes.

Although I've a slightly different card, I wouldn't think thats the cause of your issue, not sure though, what PSU do you have?

14.4K Posts

October 20th, 2008 19:00

I would say this is more possible a issue with the graphics card and not a result of running Riviatuner. Your card is running hotter than it should and may be dieing a slow death.

6 Posts

October 20th, 2008 23:00

I have this PSU

PSU

Also, if I told Dell that I was messing around with rivatuner for fan speeds, will it void my warranty?

Message Edited by alkric on 10-20-2008 07:50 PM

14.4K Posts

October 21st, 2008 00:00

Standard 750w supply. why say anything???  :smileywink:

6 Posts

October 21st, 2008 02:00

Ok, so, I guess I'll call Dell support up again.

Davet, your'e saying that my card is running hotter than it should but Bob said that he is also using rivatuner to pump up the fan so I can only assume that Dell allows their graphics cards to run hot for whatever reason and that that is not only an issue on my machine.  

How should I pitch this to Dell support while I'm still under warranty (ends in less than a month)?  Should I tell them that the video card might be acting up, because otherwise they'll come in again and just replace the power supply again and maybe the motherboard, which might not fix anything?

14.4K Posts

October 21st, 2008 11:00

Yes I would push for a new video card also. There appears to be something wrong and I suspect it has overheated and is starting to go.

206 Posts

October 21st, 2008 14:00

I do use Riva to ramp up the fan speeds when I'm gaming yes, cause I feel heat will do more damage in the long term than it having to run the fan faster.

However we can't really compare since I have the 1kw PCU, and the GTX card so they probably run slightly different, however I've never seen my temp go above 80c, even in the summer. With Riva it usually holds it around 70-75c at max. So yeah, yours does seem to be running a lil hot.

Get them contacted and urge them to replace your card and see if that fixes the problem, then the other components, don't let your warrenty run out before you get this fixed, and don't let them fob ya off either as I wouldn't put it passed them to keep ya waiting until your warrentys gone and then leave ya hanging, they've apparently done that lots with the 21 day return thing when ya first buy them.

Also yeah I wouldn't mention anything about Riva as I can't see that being the problem, a LOT of people use it and its a good program. If ya mention that they'll just try and pin the problem on that and make out as if its your fault when it has nothing to do with it.

Message Edited by BobT36 on 10-21-2008 10:18 AM

6 Posts

October 21st, 2008 16:00

Dell support told me that they have this issue recorded and will help even when my warranty expires.  When I brought up the question with the 90 degree graphic card, he told me to update my bios from A03 to A06, and said that that should take care of all of my problems but to call back if my computer doesn't turn on again within two weeks.  The problem is that I still use rivatuner, and I can't be sure if the bios update has any effect on the gpu fan as he said it should, and I dont remember the default values to switch back to if I wanted to see if the bios did anything with the fan.  Either way, I don't suppose it will fix my start up problem and I'm fairly certain that within two weeks, the computer wont start up again.
No Events found!