Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2008 02:00

Dell XPS 730 - Now all the sudden LOUD fan noise

I've had this box for a while now and it was nice and quite idle.  Now, all the sudden for the last few weeks the fan goes up loud, down, medium, down, up loud and it's crazy annoying.  Ideas?  I've tried power management settings, no OC, etc.  Even at no OC at all I get the same problem.

Terribly annoying.

Mike

53 Posts

October 19th, 2008 05:00

The fans are actually connected to the Master Control Board, not the motherboard, so that is unlikely to fix your problem. Dell replaced my motherboard and that did not some a similar problem I was having. Only after the Master Control Board and temperature sensor was replaced did my problem gets resolve. Even though Dell advertise the XPS as having specialized support, based on my dealings with tech support they have no idea about the internal components and workings of the XPS 730. The Dell support tech you dealt with probably knew nothing about the Master Control Board.

Nvidia 9800gx2 (1 for now)
4 GB 1333 Mhz Dell Memory running @1600 MHz (for the time being)
160 GB WD VelociRaptor
1 TB WD Caviar Black
Dell Bluray Burner
X-View Side Panel
Dell 2408 Ultrasharp Monitor & ViewSonic VX922
Microsoft SideWinder Mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard
SoundBlaster X-Fi xtremegamer (D) (No more crackling and Popping during gaming, but still crackles when scrolling and playing music in SLI mode)

Message Edited by lugo02 on 10-19-2008 01:29 AM
Message Edited by lugo02 on 10-19-2008 11:54 AM
Message Edited by lugo02 on 10-19-2008 12:24 PM

20 Posts

October 19th, 2008 14:00

Chris, how do I make sure the guy coming knows what to replace - including the master control card or w/e?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 20th, 2008 11:00

MikeYbarra,

The technician is only bringing the power supply and motherboard , not the Master Controller I/O Board and the temperature sensor. When he calls you to setup a time, just refuse the service. The motherboard and power supply are fine. If anything, I would just replace the Master Control Board and cable although I am not convinced that your issues are not just software in nature.

CY260 Master Controller I/O Board
CY641 Master I/O Cable Assembly

306 Posts

October 20th, 2008 12:00

Mike,

I would uninstall Nvidia's system tools and download and install the lastest version. Maybe thats your problem since you are blue screening when trying to run it.

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

October 20th, 2008 12:00

@MikeYbarra wrote:

The second I try to get to the "Performance" section it blue screens and reboots.  I called Dell and they are sending a tech out to replace my power supply and motherboard.  I don't think it will solve anything.  The person I talked to had no clue - really at all.  He basically said 'turn it on, if it's loud I will send someone'.  So they're sending someone.  And he'll replace stuff and who knows maybe it will fix it.

No idea why Performance blue screens.  I am running 64-bit Vista with SLI 280's.  But I even turned SLI off and it still bluescreened.

We will see.

You said in your original post that your computer had been fine for a long while and this fan problem just started up a few weeks ago. Did the fan problem coincide with you starting to use the Nvidia performance software...as in any manner...not necessarily changing any setting?

That's what happened to mine. The program would shut down the computer at times, merely by running the software. Then I encountered the loud fans ramping up and down constantly. I ended up having to get the h2c pump replaced. What are the temps on your CPU? Does your computer ever shut down by itself?

Did you ever try running the computer without the Nvidia performance software installed?

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

October 20th, 2008 13:00

Mike,

That is the same thing that happened to mine eventually. It sounds like the exact same problem. It just kept getting worse and worse...until as you said, you couldn't even run the computer in bios mode without it shutting down. Somehow the Nvidia software triggers this problem in my opinion. 

Your computer has to be overheating. The fans are trying to compensate for something not working properly. I would request that they replace the h2c unit as well as the fan located inside it.

Message Edited by Aurora51 on 10-20-2008 10:58 AM

20 Posts

October 20th, 2008 13:00

Chris,

Even when I simply go into the BIOS the system fan goes insanely loud and after a few minutes the computer just shuts off.  Entirely outside of Windows and just sitting idle at the BIOS screen.  So it's not Nvidia's software (which I have uninstalled a million times and reintalled, and right now it's totally uninstalled).

Can Dell replace the I/O board?  Should I call and tell them to?

20 Posts

October 20th, 2008 14:00

Thanks.  I called Dell and he is bringing the master I/O, cables and the H2C unit as well.  So he's basically replacing everything. 

306 Posts

I hope the Master Control Board isn't going to be a future nightmare. Maybe I should buy a spare just in case. 

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

Sounds good Mike. Hope things work out fine for you. :smileyhappy:

53 Posts

I think the Nvidia software is unfairly getting blamed here.

4 GB 1333 Mhz Dell Memory (for the time being)
160 GB WD VelociRaptor
1 TB WD Caviar Black
Dell Bluray Burner
X-View Side Panel
Logitech G15 Keyboard
SoundBlaster X-Fi xtremegamer (D) (No more crackling and Popping during gaming, but still crackles when scrolling and playing music in SLI mode)

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

October 20th, 2008 17:00

@lugo02 wrote:

I think the Nvidia software is unfairly getting blamed here.

Do you have any insight as to why the Nvidia performance software upon launch crashes some computers, if it has nothing to do with the software? I'd love to be able to use it...but I fear the same problems will arise. I've been running fine for over 2 months without it. I developed the problem about a month into my ownership of the computer. 

There has been a history of problems with the software causing fan problems..sometimes simply removing and reinstalling the software and doing an update solves the problem...other times it does not. As you can see by Chris' from Dell first post in this thread, that was his intial suggestion.

53 Posts

October 21st, 2008 03:00

Maybe the Nvidia software crashing is a symptom of faulty hardware and not the cause of faulty hardware. The Nvidia software does not run during post.

4 GB 1333 Mhz Dell Memory (for the time being)
160 GB WD VelociRaptor
1 TB WD Caviar Black
Dell Bluray Burner
X-View Side Panel
Logitech G15 Keyboard

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

October 21st, 2008 09:00

@lugo02 wrote:

Maybe the Nvidia software crashing is a symptom of faulty hardware and not the cause of faulty hardware. The Nvidia software does not run during post.

If that were the case however, how would uninstalling and reinstalling the software solve the problem for some people? Surely you're not implying that the nvidia software has the ability to repair a piece of hardware by itself?
I believe that the software damages components if not immediately fixed by doing the method that Chris suggested in the first page of this thread. That's why the symptom of the fans, etc are encountered even in the bios mode or initial start up, while - as you pointed out, the nvidia software is not even running. 

20 Posts

October 24th, 2008 01:00

Update:  It was the master I/O board.  The tech guy was here tonight and replaced that and the water cooling unit and it's back to fine now.
No Events found!