Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2014 08:00

Dell XPS 730 - Side Panel fell off

I have a question regarding my XPS 730 that I hope someone can answer.  Although I find other posts asking about the same issue, none of them contained an on-line posted reply (all seemed to involve going off-line for help). 

If you are standing behind the computer, the right side panel has fallen off.  Simply fell off without being touched!  As noted in the earlier posts, this panel is part of the case and it is not supposed to be removed.  There are no screws or brackets on it at all.  There are many strips of what looks like some sort of adhesive that was originally was used to attach it to the case.  Now those strips are no longer "sticky" and the panel will not stay on the case.  What should I do to reattach it?

Here is a photo of the side panel from one of the prior posts.  Mine is the same model, etc.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 29th, 2014 10:00

Some heavy duty double-stick tape would work. You can probably find it at an auto supply store because it's frequently used to attach moldings inside and outside of cars.

For example, 3M Super Strong Automotive Attachment Tape - 03609, 1/2 in x 5 ft.  It's ~$5 - $6 a roll. 

You'll probably want to scrape off the old adhesive and apply the tape to those same places so you get even tape "coverage" and don't end up with it vibrating.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 29th, 2014 10:00

I would take this as a sign to buy a new computer! Good old duct tape would work if applied to the outside without covering any vents or slots. The 730 is pretty long in the tooth now so consider replacing it soon.

No Events found!