Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2009 10:00

Dell XPS 730x Memory Limitation Now 12gb? Confused?

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. I recenlty ordered a Dell XPS 730x on Wednesday and I read how the limit for DDR3 memory was 6GB. I was ok with that. Well I sign on today and look at the order status and now notice they have the 12GB option for the 12GB memory on the Dell XPS 730x? Did something change? My system has not even be built yet, so does that mean I can now do 12GB of DDR3? Any ideas, suggestions or opinions would be great. I spoke with sales support and they have no idea.

Ski747

33 Posts

June 21st, 2009 14:00

I think that the days of  large memory requirements may be coming to an end . I have an xps 730x that I instaled windows 7 on a second hard drive . under normal operation in Vista my machine uses over 3000 mb of ram . When I boot the same machine in windows 7 I only use about 1200 mb of ram  . Any one elese seen this ?

13 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 17:00

That's not true. I am working on an astronomy image processing application that can combine many images to improve image signal/noise. I have used 8-10GB of ram processing a set of 200 deep sky astronomy images on one of my dual Xeon Precision Workstations (it has 16GB of RAM). Processing large numbers of big images is common in the astronomical imaging community. It would be nice to have 12GB of inexpensive RAM for my 730x, which can process floating point data faster than the last generation Xeons I have in a pair of Workstations (but there is also CUDA, which I have been experimenting with).

650 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 17:00

That's not true. I am working on an astronomy image processing application that can combine many images to improve image signal/noise. I have used 8-10GB of ram processing a set of 200 deep sky astronomy images on one of my dual Xeon Precision Workstations (it has 16GB of RAM). Processing large numbers of big images is common in the astronomical imaging community. It would be nice to have 12GB of inexpensive RAM for my 730x, which can process floating point data faster than the last generation Xeons I have in a pair of Workstations (but there is also CUDA, which I have been experimenting with).

On the contrary, it is true.  The average user wouldn't need more than 6gb of RAM.  The average user wouldn't be processing large astronomy images.  You're not the average user. 

I doubt the prices on 12gb (4gb x 3) triple channel RAM is going to come down anytime soon.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 24th, 2009 11:00

If you're comparing the XPS 730x to the Precision Workstations you should compare it to the T3500, T5500 or T7500, not to the older generations. That would be like comparing the floating point performance of an XPS 730 to the XPS 730x (Core2 architecture vs Core i7/Nehalem architecture).

13 Posts

[quote user="Ray Gralak"]

If you're comparing the XPS 730x to the Precision Workstations you should compare it to the T3500, T5500 or T7500, not to the older generations. That would be like comparing the floating point performance of an XPS 730 to the XPS 730x (Core2 architecture vs Core i7/Nehalem architecture).

[/quote]

Yes, I understand that, but I think currently the price for memory in the T7500 workstation is even higher than the 730x. I am planning to move to T7500's when memory prices drop significantly. I got the 730x to replace one of my Precision 690 workstations for now.

-Ray

13 Posts

[quote user="Ray Gralak"]That's not true. I am working on an astronomy image processing application that can combine many images to improve image signal/noise. I have used 8-10GB of ram processing a set of 200 deep sky astronomy images on one of my dual Xeon Precision Workstations (it has 16GB of RAM). Processing large numbers of big images is common in the astronomical imaging community. It would be nice to have 12GB of inexpensive RAM for my 730x, which can process floating point data faster than the last generation Xeons I have in a pair of Workstations (but there is also CUDA, which I have been experimenting with).

On the contrary, it is true.  The average user wouldn't need more than 6gb of RAM.  The average user wouldn't be processing large astronomy images.  You're not the average user. 

[/quote]

Well, you said essentially NO ONE  could use that much memory in the post to which I was replying. Here is what you wrote:

As I stated in another post, anyone who drops $2000 on ram needs a psychiatric evaluation because not only is that price ridiculously high but NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE, could utilize more than 6-8gb of ram.

-Ray

No Events found!