Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2014 13:00

Dell XPS 730x i7 920 Memory and SSD Upgrades

Ok so after some looking around, I am a little confused about what upgrades I can make on this old beast.

I was first under the impression my system can only handle 6GB of ram. Now I am reading that it can actually take up to 12GB IF I update the BIOS(never been done since purchase). Is this true?

On the SSD side of things, I think my system supports SATA 2...I'm not seeing any SSD drives that are SATA2. :( Is there any way around this?

I also wonder about power usage. Last I heard my system is believed to have a 980Watt PSU (DELL H1000E-01). Will that be sufficient for an SSD in addition to the existing HDD and 12 GB of ram? The only other upgrade I've done from the stock system was to upgrade the video card to a GTX 570.

If the ram upgrade is possible, what is the fastest ram I can safely use? I've been out of the loop on PC tech for a while and looking at all the types of ram available these days is a little overwhelming. 

Thanks for any responses. :)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 20th, 2014 14:00

The psu is more than adequate.  Check Crucial for compatible ram, They have a good scanner to see what you have and reliable memory for Dell computers. It can handle 12 gb of ram--2-4 gb chips were not available when the computer was new.

Maximum memory: 12288MB
Slots: 3 (3 banks of 1)

4 Posts

October 20th, 2014 14:00

Thanks Mary, I was looking on the Crucial website earlier but wasn't sure just how accurate they are hehe. Their scanner seems to say I can add an SSD drive(SATA3) but I imagine it will be hindered by the SATA2 connection. It probably wouldn't be as fast.

EDIT: Judging by these benchmarks it seems it would still be well worth the upgrade:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,3469-16.html

No Events found!