Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2012 19:00

Dell XPS 8500 Desktop

Hi,

I purchased a Dell XPS 8500 from someone that wasn't even out of the box.

I wanted this computer because it should be kicking for doing my graphics, media and web sites but it totally is messing up, can't see video and more.

I'd like to at this point restore it to the original manufacture settings but don't see how to do that.

I see how to do a restore point, how to restore from a system image which haven't done since not going to put a lot on this machine until can see if useable.

A shame for a $1300 machine to not function correctly.

The few things I do have on it I can restore.

Can someone please tell me how to do a restore to factory settings or point me to clear directions on doing so.

I have done everything from adobe flash players updates to removing software for spyware protection and the list goes on.

I will put it back to square one and see if can start again.

I have no manual and one was not in box. Just basic set up instructions and for screen hook up that weren't even open. I doubt there were anything more specific that came with it.

So please help someone. I have web work to do and really tired of spending my week spinning my wheels.

Thanks,

Rebecca

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 16th, 2012 20:00

Do you get video on bootup that disappears as Windows starts?

If you have a Windows disc, I'd suggest performing a clean install with a reformat. I've worked several contracts at a Fortune 500 giant, and every time a contractor is issued a new machine, Dell or otherwise, they are instructed to do just that using a generic retail copy of Windows.

July 16th, 2012 20:00

Hi RebecCohen,

Welcome to the Dell Community,

In response to your post, I guess you want to do a PC restore which will take your computer to the factory settings. PC restore will delete all your  data on the computer and reimage the entire operating system to factory defaults.

The link below gives the instructions for the PC restore.

support.dell.com/.../document

If  you let me know the exact problem you are facing.  It would be more helpful for me to guide you  the right way.

Please reply if you need any further help.

Thanks & Regards

DELL-Hemanth_K_K

Dell Social Media Responder.

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

http://twitter.com/#%21/dell

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE21F49ACD1A6B608&feature=plcp

21 Posts

July 17th, 2012 08:00

Hello,

I followed your directions and went to the link to restore to factory settings. I am told to press F8 when computer restarts and after dell logo disappears. It is not going to the Advanced Boot Options and instead proceeds to restart no matter what I do.

Do you have any other suggestions.

I really want to get the problems remedied asap.

Thanks so much.

Rebecca

21 Posts

July 17th, 2012 08:00

I did finally get the computer to go to Advanced Reboot. Although the wording on the options following prompts wasn't quite the same, I am hopeful this will work now. I will update in awhile when restore has completed.

Thank you.

Rebecca

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 17th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

I purchased a Dell XPS 8500 from someone that wasn't even out of the box.

Pardon me for butting in, but something isn't quite right here.

If it "wasn't even out of the box", the hard drive should still be exactly the way Dell shipped it. So I don't know what a PC Restore is going to change or fix.

If you "can't see video", are you connecting the monitor to the right video port? The on-board VGA port is turned off by default in this model because there's an add-in video card with digital outputs (DVI, and either DisplayPort and/or HDMI). If your monitor only uses VGA, there are ways to make it work, but you'll need an inexpensive adaptor for the DVI port.

If your monitor has both DVI and VGA input ports, you'll get a better signal using the DVI port, but you'll need a DVI cable.

Am I missing something here ?  :emotion-7:

21 Posts

July 17th, 2012 13:00

I have completed the restore and seems to be working now. Thanks for help!

Rebecca

21 Posts

July 28th, 2012 08:00

Hello,

I did do a system restore. And to answer one question of the computer just being out of the box and shouldn't need to be restored. I did add some software to it already before the restore.

I did a restore and I have added the needed software I use back on again and the computer is freezing up. As a last resort I decided once again to do a system restore and only add one piece of software at a time to see what the issue might be so can hopefully avert this happening again. I can't even use the computer the way it is.

In attempting the restore the computer is locked up at the 2nd prompt in System Recovery Options.

If someone has a suggestion besides the system restore to original factory settings to do this or how to get it done since it's locking up when not far into the process, I'd be so grateful.

Thanks,

Rebecca

July 28th, 2012 12:00

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate your effort in fixing the problem. But the PC restore can be done only once. If you are still facing the Freezing problem may be that is because of the application you are installing. It’s good that you are trying to check which application is causing the problem in addition to it you can try a complete hardware diagnostics just to make sure that your hardware that is your hard drive and memory are functioning well and also please check that you have enough memory that support the application that you are installing.

Instruction to do Diagnostics

support.dell.com/.../document

please do reply incase if you need any further help.

21 Posts

July 28th, 2012 21:00

In response to amount of memory. I have 1 T and even with installing any software, keeping an eye on memory usage, I barely put a dent in using any of it.

I restarted the computer and  I am doing a hardware diagnostics now. I have made it through the fist part of diagnostics and no errors were found. I went ahead and told the computer to do the remaining memory tests which takes about 30 minutes. I did this last time when freezing of computer started and no errors were found then either. Sigh

Something does not seem right on all this. I used the computer fine at first and now to experience this issues is mind boggling to me.

Rebecca

21 Posts

July 28th, 2012 21:00

Thank you for your answer. I did an emergency restore/backup and computer still freezes up. Can anyone give me the link to download an application I believe is from Microsoft to determine any incompatible programs or anything on the computer that is incompatable?I have done all I can to clean everything on the computer and it still freezes up with no additional software added. It's very plain jane, no software added except I allowed the McAffee software to activate but that is all. Before this I was not using McAffee at all so not sure it is the issue.

Someone had given the link to me before on the forum but for some reason not finding it.

Thanks for any assistance.

Rebecca

July 31st, 2012 12:00

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for replying,

I would suggest to uncheck all the startup items and restart the computer and see if it’s still freezing..

Instruction to disable the startup items:

Click on start and type in “msconfig” and press enter and select the “Startup” tab and click on “Disable all “at the bottom and then restart the computer

Please reply if you need any further help.

No Events found!