Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 9th, 2016 08:00

Dell XPS 8500: Put in New Power Supply Unit; Starter Button is Amber; Monitor Goes into Power Save Mode

Got a new power supply units because my Dell XPS 8500 displayed symptoms of PSU problems.  Like strange noise in the back, turning on and off by itself, etc.  Well, put in this new PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103084&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Skimlinks-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=12087162&PID=7835197&SID=skim83512X1535351X9d55edf4ea7e03089dcb40f1dd9c7576&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Skimlinks

The computer powers on but doesn't boot and the starter button stays amber (doesn't blink amber). Monitor goes into Power Save mode.  Now what?

Could the starter button / assembly not be working?  Btw, I tested the old PSU by doing the pin trick (put in green/black wire spots) and the fan turns on and the PSU light turns green.  Just when you put it in the computer, sometimes it turns on, sometimes turns off by itself.  That's why I thought this was the PSU problem.

Did I connect all the wires correctly?  Is there a good Youtube video or easy diagram that shows how the PSU wires should be connected?  The System-Board Components map in the manual is just useless.

Already did some tricks like taking out RAM chips and reinserting them.  Pushing down on the starter button for 20 seconds while power off.  

Time to take it to Geeksquad?   This just went off warranty: 2.5 years old and I invested a lot into the computer.

January 9th, 2016 17:00

Hi 

Thanks for writing to us. 

Usually if its a steady amber its a motherboard issue, if its a blinking amber, its a PSU issue. 

Is there a separate GPU ? If yes, remove the GPU and observe again. 

What is the part # of the PSU.

Regards

16 Posts

January 9th, 2016 19:00

I'ts the original GPU for Dell XPS 8500:

"NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR 5 for Win 8"

The PSU seems to be fully compatible.  I know guys with original XPS 8500 who switched to the above version.  The one that went bad is right here:

www.impactcomputers.com/6gpr9.html

So the old PSU is ok?  But the MoBo is the issue?  Why did it behave as if it was a PSU issue (grunting noise, going on and off, etc.)?  Possible that the PSU issue then became a MoBO issue?  

All this happened just after I reverted back to Windows 8.1 (from Windows 10 upgrade) and downloaded and executed the latest drivers for 8.1.

downloaded the latest

January 10th, 2016 20:00

Hi, 

The symptoms caused by PSU and motherboard most of the time are very conflicting and misleading. 

We don't think power button is at fault. 

Can you try one last step, remove the GPU and try the onboard ports. 

If still the same, i am afraid motherboard is at fault.

Regards

16 Posts

January 11th, 2016 07:00

Hi thanks. Obviously, I'm no hardware expert.  Can you explain what you mean by "trying the onboard ports"?  Thanks.

January 13th, 2016 15:00

In the above picture #10 and #11 are the onboard video out ports. You can try either of these ports post removing the additional graphics card and observe for display.

Regards

• 

351 Posts

January 14th, 2016 03:00

In the above picture #10 and #11 are the onboard video out ports. You can try either of these ports post removing the additional graphics card and observe for display.

Regards

Hi Techgeek43,

It looks like Hema has told you incorrect info.

10 and 11 are the Graphics Card ports - if you remove the Graphics Card they won't be there, just a blank space.

6 and 7 are the onboard video ports (VGA and HDMI).

If you can remove the GT640 card try and use the VGA or HDMI ports on the Motherboard as Hema advised

16 Posts

January 14th, 2016 07:00

Ok, thanks guys. So remove the GPU and connect through #s 6 or 7, right?  What's supposed to happen if it's the GPU?  Not GPU?

January 14th, 2016 19:00

If the system boots up fine on the 6/7 port then it looks to be a faulty GPU. If it still doenst boot up, then a faulty motherboard.

January 15th, 2016 20:00

Hi
We are awaiting your response still

16 Posts

January 16th, 2016 09:00

No, it doesn't boot up.  I guess this narrows it down to the motherboard.

January 17th, 2016 19:00

I am afraid its motherboard.
Do let us know if you wish to go ahead with a chargeable repair .
If yes, PM us the system tag #, your name, number, email id, and physical address.
Regards

No Events found!