Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2017 17:00

Dell XPS 8500 not turning on

So, the last few months or so I had trouble turning on the PC as in it sometimes took several bashings of the power button to turn on, other times it worked fine in the first couple pressings of the button. Now as of the last few weeks it doesn't turn on at all, the only sign of life I can get is the fans come on briefly when I turn on the plug socket it is connected to. From other posts I've read up to this point I've unplugged various connections inside the PC and re-connected them to no change.. the green light on the back is on when plugged in and I see an orange motherboard light inside as well.. Other than suggesting to buy a new power button (assuming that is the issue..) is there a way to turn on the PC without the use of this and I can just put it in sleep mode to avoid it not turning back on?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 14th, 2017 18:00

Have you tried connecting the PC directly to a wall outlet without using the "plug socket"?

Have you disconnected everything, except mouse, monitor and keyboard?

Does the power button light up at all after it's pressed? What color and steady or blinking?

Try this: Power off and remove power cord from rear of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reconnect power cord to rear of PC and see if it boots now.

Might be a failing power supply, rather than the power button...

5 Posts

September 14th, 2017 19:00

No luck with your suggestions unfortunately , and the power button has no light when pressed.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 15th, 2017 11:00

If you're comfortable working inside a PC, you can do a 'generic" power supply test. But only do this if you're sure about your abilities or have a geeky friend who can help.

Power off and unplug, press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and disconnect the PSU from the motherboard.  Use a bent paperclip to "jump" the green wire to one of the black wires by inserting the ends of the clip into the connector. There are some youtube vids (eg: www.youtube.com/watch to do this if you need more help. NOTE: You don't need to uninstall the PSU from the PC to do this test. Now plug the PC into the wall.  Fans and hard drive should spin up. If not, suspect a PSU failure.

BTW: When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

1.2K Posts

September 15th, 2017 16:00

I would start with replacing the PCs battery. If that doesn't do it it might be a failing PSU.

Just a none, a family members 8500 started acting up in a similar fashion and I replaced the PSU.  It has been rock solid since the new PSU was installed ( about 4 weeks ago).

I went with an EVGA 550 G3  and it was a perfect fit, quiet, cool and more than adequate power.

I've had great success with Seasonic power supplies over the years, and this is my first EVGA ( this one built by superflower).

5 Posts

September 15th, 2017 18:00

I don't trust myself to do the paperclip test properly.. ha.

But I have replaced the battery and now the fans don't start up at all when I first connect it to the outlet, I may just go for it and buy a new PSU and hope that fixes it.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 16th, 2017 19:00

Find a geeky friend to do the paperclip test for you, one you won't miss if he/she gets electrocuted!!!

Just kidding...  :emotion-5:

5 Posts

September 17th, 2017 17:00

So.. that's the battery changed and a new psu (assuming I've installed it right) still no sign of life from the PC, is my last option to try to find a new power button?

Also the new psu came with a tester so I won't need to shock one a geeky friend.. saying that I'm probably the most techy of my group.. unfortunately haha.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 18th, 2017 11:00

Re-check the connections between the PSU and the motherboard.  Do you see the orange LED light up on the motherboard when you connect the new PSU to a working outlet?

There are several other power connectors on the motherboard so make sure all of them are properly connected. See the motherboard diagram in the manual for the locations of those connectors: downloads.dell.com/.../xps-8500_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

And check the power button connector (F_PANEL) and all the other connectors from the front panel to the motherboard shown on the motherboard diagram.

It's also possible the motherboard, the front panel circuit board, or some other component failed. Without some clear indications of where the problem is, this could become a black hole for time and money...

And you might want to read these:

en.community.dell.com/.../19662178

en.community.dell.com/.../19577722

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19564594

5 Posts

September 19th, 2017 17:00

Well the new power button has got the PC running, wouldn't say smoothly at this point but it does boot up and run like normal bar a couple issues but they might fix themselves with updates and such.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 19th, 2017 18:00

No Events found!