Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2012 12:00

Dell XPS 8500

Hello,

Hope I am posting in right forum.

I am having issues with my desktop freezing up on a regular basis.

It will temporarily come out of it then freeze up again awhile later.

Is there any way to find out if there is some incompatible software or if it's another issue?

I have 1 T of memory so not an issue there and am using Windows 7.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Rebecca

July 24th, 2012 14:00

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to the Dell Community

As the  computer is freezing , I request you to run the hardware diagnostics on the computer.

To launch the ePSA diagnostics on this system, turn on the system, press <F12> at the initial Dell™ logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu.

This is what the utility looks like

Please make a note of the error codes if any and post it back here.

21 Posts

July 24th, 2012 16:00

Hi, Thanks for your assistance. I made it through the first part of diagnostics and then told the computer to go ahead and do memory. It appears the computer is locked up at 95%. If it pulls out of it and completes I will let you know.

The first part of diagnostics showed no problem whatsoever.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Rebecca

21 Posts

July 24th, 2012 17:00

Hello, the computer did finish the test finally with no known issues.

Not sure where to proceed from here now though.

Rebecca

July 24th, 2012 17:00

Thank you for the response.

This determines that the hardware is not the cause of the slow performance. It could be a software conflict
Please follow these steps.

• Run MS Fixit : http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9740820 (Fix Windows system performance problems on slow Windows computers)
  •  Check the  performance in safe mode/ Safe mode with networking.  In order to go to safe mode. Reboot PC. When the Dell Splash Screen appears, press F8 2-3  times. Fro the Advanced boot Options list, Select Safe mode with Networking

Please try these steps and let me know of the outcome

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

July 24th, 2012 18:00

What do you mean by "freeze"? Was it idle for a while and then mouse and keyboard no longer respond..?

Are you doing anything specific when it happens, eg running a specific application, viewing a video, surfing the net...?

August 22nd, 2012 18:00

Did running MS Fixit resolve the issue? I'm having the same problem with my XPS 8500!!  Random freeze when sitting idle, but my computer also shut down and started giving me 4 short beeps with a flashing orange power button..  I have another post about that one.

No Events found!