Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2014 13:00

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop Memory Upgrade.

I've just bought a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop (arrived today). Memory wise it currently has 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMS.

I wanted to upgrade this to 16GB and before ordering the PC I spoke to a Dell Sales representative and he informed me to do this I could buy an additional 8GB memory module and install this myself. I followed his advice and went ahead and bought the extra 8GB memory module.

When I came to install the memory I looked for some instructions on the internet on how to do this and whilst looking at this I found a worrying piece of information in that for the best performance they recommend using matched pairs of modules. Looking at my Desktop spec it has 8GB using 2 DIMMS, I persume this means it's using 2x4GB memory modules. 

Does this mean the Dell sales representative got his advice wrong and instead of recommending I buy the 1x8GB memory module I should have bought 2x4GB?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 7th, 2014 14:00

PJ_1875

Yes, it's best to install DDR3 modules in matching pairs.

Bev.

1 Message

June 18th, 2014 12:00

I think they should be installed in pairs.   So get another 8G module and put the pair of 8G in slots 1+2; the existing pair of 4G in slots 3+4 and enjoy the 24G upgrade.

No Events found!