Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2017 11:00

Dell XPS 8910 super slow to reboot

I bought my XPS 8910 in November then had to return it to replace the hard drive and motherboard after only 2 weeks use. I like this PC, except it is super slow to reboot.

When it boots it takes 5 or 10 minutes and sometimes just freezes. Once it does come alive my screen apps have lost their placement and the resolution changes. I have a NVIDA video card, if that matters.

I sure need some help fixing this. At each reboot (which I seldom do) I fear the system will not work. O, I had the same problem before the above repair too.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 12th, 2017 13:00

If you disconnect all devices, except mouse and keyboard, does it still take that long to boot?

141 Posts

April 13th, 2017 06:00

Well my results are NOT as yours. I have an SSD and the sucker boots to the log in screen under 10 seconds.

Try reseating the RAM.

Did you add or remove/swap RAM? Did you do any mods to the computer?

Did you buy it new or used?

Did you clone the drive on the new 8910 form an older one? If you did you may have copied over something that could be disagreeing with the machine.

If you have a warranty, dell chat may be able to help look into the pc remotely ...

9 Posts

April 16th, 2017 16:00

Just got back in town, so plan to try the 2 different suggestions in the morning when I am not so tired. I will post the results. BYW I have never opened my XPS 8910 PC or changed any parts.  Dell did some under warranty, but this problem has existed from day one. I need to fix it, so thanks for the suggestions..

No Events found!