Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2005 14:00

Dell XPS Gen 5 - Fan speed question

Hello....

I ran the dell diagnostics last night and I saw that there is a test that controls the fan speeds. It makes the fan run on low and then high....

So that got me thinking....

Is there a way to control the speed of the fans? Maybe through BIOS or something....

I'd like to set them to run at "medium" speed all the time. Low is probably too low for a machine used for power-gaming sessions and high is just too high.... right now, they seem to run on a low speed all the time even when playing battlefield 2 (they're quiet, but I'd sacrifice some noise for some more blowing of hot air out the back of the case.....)

Anyone know?

Thanks.

-Spo-

Message Edited by Spomo on 08-11-2005 10:45 AM

2.8K Posts

August 11th, 2005 16:00

Spomo,
Dell doesn't use a BIOS that includes the ability to manually adjust the fan speed. The fan test in Dell's diagnostics has the routine that makes the fans run alternately low and high written into its code but no means of allowing you to do anything with it yourself.

251 Posts

August 12th, 2005 13:00

@The_Namek wrote:
Spomo,
Dell doesn't use a BIOS that includes the ability to manually adjust the fan speed. The fan test in Dell's diagnostics has the routine that makes the fans run alternately low and high written into its code but no means of allowing you to do anything with it yourself.

if your video card is an ATI you can download ATI tool..this allows you to set the fan speeds for your card within this...great little app...you can see speeds for different temps like when running games kick it to high and once you quit it hits back to low...also try the XPS forums below...if there's nothing about changing fan speeds in this they're nowhere
http://xpsmodz.proboards33.com/

2.8K Posts

August 12th, 2005 23:00

Airblazer is correct about the ATI tool allowing you to set fan speeds for ATI video cards. The OP wrote about the fan test in the Dell diagnostics though. That test is only for the CPU fans and does nothing with the fan on a video card.
No Events found!