Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2011 06:00

Dell XPS Gen3 - PSU: NPS-460BB Where to Buy?

We have a 2005 XPS/Dimension Gen3 PC, which was working fine this morning.
After truning off to install a new GFX card and more memory, it failed to switch on.

I have disconnected all connections from the PSU, then opened it up to check the internal fuse, which is OK but there is no DC outputs.

Without a circuit diagram, which I probably will never find, its going to be difficlut to fault find fully.

I have checked the Dell site to see if the NPS-460BB can be purchased, but I can't find any listed.

Does Dell sell these?
Can anyone provide a link?

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Several Places

Amazon.com

ServerSupply.com

Ebay

etc

8 Posts

Thanks, was hoping to see if Dell sell them.

Simon

8 Posts

May 16th, 2011 07:00

Does anyone know if the Dell Precision 530 PSU will fit?

Been looking through the docs on dell but cant find any information on PSU connections.

Many thanks

Simon

8 Posts

May 18th, 2011 07:00

For anyone that is also looking for NPS-460BB-D here some information I have found that might assist you.

Rev A, B and C PSU are not compatible as they have less connections or legacy connections, so avoid.
Dont get a PSU for Precision 650, although specifications and physically dimensions are identical , they dont have the right connection.

It does appear that the Gen 4 and 5 XPS use a Rev E PSU. Although the documents dont list it, the routing appears to be the same with no additional or missing connections.  As there have been no changes to the connections, these could be a could bet.

Dells documents for the Gen 3, 4, 5 are here:

• Gen 3
  • Gen 4
  • Gen 5

At the time of writing, you could get a replacement Rev E from AMAZON or ServerSupply.
Amazon wont ship to UK and ServerSupply have a minimum order of $500 for international sales. 

Alternatives include IMPACT who will ship international, but it must go by UPPS

1 Message

August 11th, 2011 23:00

Yes, an NPS 460BB-E power supply can replace an NPS 460BB-D power supply in a Dell XPS Gen4. The machine I am using to post this is a Gen4 with a brand new -E power supply.  Thanks, K2JOOM, for the suggestion.  

HOWEVER, you will need an ATX 4-pin female to ATX 4 pin male extension cable.  The -E power supply comes with an 8-pin ATX connector that will not fit the Gen4 4-pin port due to a capacitor on the motherboard that blocks the extra 4 pins.  I attached a 4-pin extension cable to the 8-pin connector and it works fine.  I got the power supply from ServerSupply for under $50.  Most places I found with "new" -D power supplies wanted $200+ and none of them actually had a -D unit (I got sent an -A unit twice).  I have had tremendous success purchasing exceptionally well priced refurbed Dell power supplies from ServerSupply.   

One COULD use splice the old 4-pin connector from a -D unit onto the end of the -E unit, but the extension cable is a simpler and cleaner solution. 

8 Posts

October 1st, 2012 04:00

Hi Rominet.

Well, my 4660BB-D died, finally.

Just purchased a used 4660BB-E which is physically the same, just silver/grey instead of blue.

The only difference I have found is that P2 on the -D variant is 4 pin whilst the -E variant is 8 pin.

The docs for -D <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> shown 2 GND (black) and 2 +12V (yellow)

The -E type as an additional 2 GND and 2 White ( I am looking into their function.)

8 Posts

The only difference between the P2 connectors is that the -E variant for Gen 5 has an additional set of 12V rails, would are not required on the Gen3.

I am going to take the 4 way from my dead -D and put it on the -E PSU and isolate the additional 12V rail.

Will report back if this is a fix.

8 Posts

OK, here is the PSU wiring for Gen5 which uses the -E variant.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

8 Posts

October 1st, 2012 05:00

When P2 is connected, the PC beeps on and off then after a few seconds the CPU fans ramp up to full speed.  It is noticed that the CPU cooler is getting hot when P2 is connected.

If P2 is disconnected, then the CPU fans run at normal speeds.

So far, I have only got it to boot as far as the bios.

Will report back more findings soon.

No Events found!