Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2015 07:00

Dell XPS One 2710 works as an external monitor, but not in computer mode

Dell XPS One 2710 brought to me to take a look. It's been restored to factory settings (Windows 8 with nothing added yet). I can hook it up as an external monitor (through HDMI) and it works fine. When I try to run as a computer, the screen remains black.

Pulled the hard drive and it works in another desktop. A different hard drive shows same results when installed in this computer.

Not sure where to go from here. Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks!

cliff

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 12:00

Did this system ever have Win 10 installed? Win 10 causes a "black screen of death" on this model.  Dell did not recommend upgrading this model to Win 10.

Did somebody accidentally press the Source Input button on the front of the screen and turn off the internal LCD panel? See #8 here. You may have to press it several times to cycle through the choices, so wait a bit between presses to see if anything changes.

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 13:00

My nephew's computer and I'm sure he did try to load Win 10. The hard drive had 8 on it, but never know if he tried rolling back or what. If it is a Win 10 issue, is there anyway to combat it?

I'll try your source input recommendation and let you know what happens.

Thanks!

cliff

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 12:00

The post you want to read is by cwrighty, here.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 12:00

If you browse these forums, there are lots of XPS 2710 systems with the black screen of death caused by Win 10. If your nephew upgraded, he did it at his own risk because Dell had not tested this system for compatibility with Win 10.

In one of those threads, a user managed to recover his system by repeatedly turning on/off/on/off... and trying to get it to open BIOS setup (F2). After that happened, he force re-flashed BIOS and then quickly reverted back to Win 8.1. But AFAIK, no one else has posted that this method worked for them.

The only fix that should work for everyone is a new motherboard, except they're hard to come by and rather expensive. Dell is out of stock on them at the moment. Don't know if they'll restock it.

If your PC is less than 5 years old, it should qualify for Dell's Out-of-Warranty Service which costs $269 (in USA) to replace a motherboard, assuming they actually have the board. User pays shipping to Dell and they pay to ship it back.  Since you already reverted to Win 8, you should be ok because there won't be a problem with Win 10 bricking the replacement board. Just DO NOT upgrade again...

No Events found!