Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2008 18:00

Dell Xps 630 Motherboard.

Is it true that the Dell Xps 630 motherboard is restricted to olny 8x on the PCIe slots?

23 Posts

August 1st, 2008 13:00

So what did they do change ESA back to no because they change it to Yes like a week or so ago. Dell called them up and told them that the board is ESA. So who should tell the truth. DELL OR NVIDIA.

72 Posts

August 1st, 2008 13:00

Something really fishy is going on, because now, when you click on the above link, it shows that the 650i DOES support ESA.  Someone at Dell must have made a call.

This link still shows that the the 650i board is not ESA certified however.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_certified_products.html

August 1st, 2008 14:00

Funny.  A week ago that matrix said the 650 SLI was ESA Cert.. not it says no.  Odd

14.4K Posts

I do, and  I am not trying to belittle any of your issues only start some honest disscussions. That seem to not have happened.

14.4K Posts

Where in the ESA specs does it state that the motherboard has to be ?

72 Posts

Dave, the answer to your question is that the current system DOES NOT WORK!  I really don't know how to make it any simpler than that.  BTW, do you even have a 630i?  It looks like you have a 700/720.  Seems to me that someone who had to go through that fiasco would understand the problems us 630i owners are having more than most?

72 Posts

What hasn't been honest about anything I have said?

Dave, I am a common sense kind of guy.  We can argue semantics all day about whether or not the Dell version of the 650I board supports ESA, but in the end, it can't, because it doesn't work, and apparently the engineers at Dell can't figure it out either.

I see you are retired Navy, congratulations, I am retired Military also.

14.4K Posts

My question relates to my interpertation that ESA is a SYSTEM certification, where as all compent together is what makes a ESA certifed unit.  

287 Posts

Dave,

It probably doesn't, IMHO the point here is initally the matrix stated that the 650i did not meet ESA, Dell insisted it was the MIO that made the board compliant but have now prevailed on nvidia to change the matrix. If it truely was the MIO making the board ESA compliant why change the matrix only after a great deal of people have pointed out the board (650i) was not?

14 Posts

August 1st, 2008 15:00

It seems to depend on what link you use to the page.  If you add .html to the end of the URL you get a spec sheet that shows ESA support.  Strange.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce_600i_tech_specs  

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce_600i_tech_specs.html

72 Posts

August 1st, 2008 15:00

It changes from time to time. Very weird??

14 Posts

August 1st, 2008 16:00

Nice post, Drange.  The diagram really shows in simplistic terms what the problem is here.

526 Posts

That diagram isn't necessarily correct for non-ESA compliance.  In the red chart, my system with the 780i motherboard works the same way and is fully ESA compliant (mobo included). :smileywink:

Also, in the red chart you state that the power supply is routed through the MIO board.  That's not correct, the power supply simply powers the MIO board.  The only routing done power-wise, is for the chassis' power button coming from the MIO to the motherboard.

14.4K Posts

Not a comment directed at anyone in particular just a general comment.

155 Posts

Dell asserts that the XPS 630 is ESA Certified and according to Nvidia's web site it is.  Problem is the manner of the ESA Certification is not disclosed and the consumer is led to believe the XPS 630 comes with an ESA certified motherboard.  Checking Nvidia's own web page about how ESA works it clearly shows all the ESA components communicating directly with the Motherboard which is not what happens with the XPS 630.  This is what a consumer would deduce from visiting Nvidia's site about ESA.

Dell makes no attempt on the XPS 630 sales web site to notify the consumer that any form of different implementation of ESA is employed with the 630.  Yet that is not the case.  This is what the consumer actually gets.

As I've stated before when a company advertises it is the responsibility of that company to provide proper disclosure of any features that are contrary to what would be typically expected by a consumer.  It is also the companies responsibility to advertise according to what market a product is being sold to.  Dell wants to sell the XPS 630 to the "enthusiast" crowd which are known for wanting detailed information about all aspects of their purchases.  To put up advertising that is ambiguous, omissive and blatantly deceptive is not up to the standard of advertising required by a "regular" computer consumer let alone an "enthusiast" market consumer.

If the XPS 630 is a Certified "System" then all the components that have an ESA function in the system have to be certified.  If a claim is made then Dell should have available for public viewing a source that verifies that claim.  Allion is the company that provides the actual certification for the ESA program so Dell should have a copy of the document that shows the XPS 630 is ESA certified.  Could Dell please provide the information that proves ESA Certification of the Master I/O Board.

No Events found!