Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2016 02:00

Dell all in one xps 2710 black screen unresponsive

Will not start brief flicker on screen then nothig just the black screen, its under extended warrenty just locke out, no function keys work when start up, alt con del  dont work cant get to bios, its a brick, also have put the hdmi lead to laptop and and xps no joy, any help, could it be the motherboard? thanks in advance for any advice.

January 9th, 2016 17:00

Hi Purplecatqueen, 

Good day. 

Was there any hardware or software changes before the system went dead? Keeping in mind there is no display on both internal and external display , the symptoms points towards motherboard. 

Can you try remove and re-seat the memories.

Anticipating your reply .

Regards

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 9th, 2016 17:00

Did you upgrade this system to Win 10?

Dell has not tested the XPS 2710 for compatibility with Win 10 and many users have bricked their motherboards by upgrading to Win 10, which causes a black screen.

If that's your situation, the motherboard will have to be replaced. Hope Dell has one available for you because other users have been told that it's out of stock at Dell.

January 10th, 2016 02:00

Yes it was running on windows 10 for about a month,  been reading online about windows 10 bricking the motherboard, will get my hubby to look at it, thank very much for your input and the video.

January 10th, 2016 02:00

Yes upgraded to windows 10, it was upgraded  as soon as they rolled it out, was running fine, then this thanks for the info, iyts under warrenty but no doubt not covered, but lots of complaints online about the motherboard failing before the windows 10 roll out, so we shall see.thanks very much

January 10th, 2016 06:00

Actually it is not the motherboard that has failed. It is the EFI that is LOCKED by the most current Windows 10 update. Seems there has been a few bugs included with the newest Win 10 update. If there is a way to Reflash the UEFI you can bring it back to life but only if you boot it from a startup USB stick that does not have Windows 10 on it at the First startup after the reflash and then Wipe the internal hard drive.

Dell use to have a utility program, on CD, way back when to do all kinds of maintenance and flash the BIOS back to a previous version (or to any version for that particular system) that wasn't accessible from the normal startup screen options . Not sure if they still have such a utility program or how an End User would get it. I have one of the older CDs given to me from a Dell Tech that came to my place of work to fix a notebook.

Something in the Win 10 update has changed something in the EFI. Probably placed a Lock on it so no other OS can boot on that system. Problem is it has also locked out booting to Win 10 on the internal hard drive and locked out getting to the EFI/BIOS screens.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 11th, 2016 06:00

SHOOTISTOO7,

Do you know if any of the recent Windows 7 updates from Microsoft could of caused the same issue?  I never installed Windows 10 on my 2710, but it recently stopped working not getting past the Dell logo on boot.  I have no keyboard controls to do anything.

Reboot

F12

Dell Diagnostics.

Thanks for that, yes it was after a update, windows 10  when I went to restart  this is what its left like, will get a tec to look at it then. Thanks for all your help .

47 Posts

SHOOTISTOO7,

Do you know if any of the recent Windows 7 updates from Microsoft could of caused the same issue?  I never installed Windows 10 on my 2710, but it recently stopped working not getting past the Dell logo on boot.  I have no keyboard controls to do anything.

No I don't but I doubt it. Win 7 never tried to write to the UEFI/BIOS to lock it so no other OS could be installed. This was a New Feature in Windows 10.

Since you get the Dell Logo and possibly to the BIOS, UEFI, settings system you have other problems. Like the hard drive has died.

At first press of the power button continually press/release the F2 function key and or if that doesn't work connect a Wired keyboard and try again. If it still doesn't work try the F12 function key on the Wired keyboard. F2 loads the BIOS/UEFI settings screens and the F12 will give you a One Time Boot Menu screen where you select with drive to boot from or to go into the BIOS/UEFI settiings screens.

47 Posts

January 11th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the fast reply.  I still don't know how these forums work.  Is it just a community of customers or does Dell have anyone one here for support?  I see a few posts from people whose profiles look like Dell Employees, but they stress that they aren't employees and their signatures also say they aren't.

I can try a different keyboard to see if F12 or F2 will be any different, but I think my system is just frozen on boot.

47 Posts

January 11th, 2016 11:00

And BTW this was the first technical reason I've read as to why  Windows 10 is breaking these systems.   If a Dell Rock Star would of posted this in my older threads it would of went a long ways in settling me down other than "Dell didn't test it....blah blah...it's your loss and fault".  When I never updated my system to Windows 10 to begin with.  Where did you find this information out?

The reason I'm asking is because this should fall back on to Microsoft and a class action suit should be filed against them if they are indeed causing these systems to break by simply updating to Windows 10.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2016 11:00

Is it just a community of customers or does Dell have anyone one here for support?

This is primarily a user-to-user forum. Most of those helping here are volunteers and not Dell employees. A few Dell employees moderate these forums and some of them do answer support questions. A Dell employee will have a "Dell-{name} user name, eg Dell-Hema who posted above, and their sig should indicate their position at Dell.

Reboot and press F8. Choose Safe Mode + Networking from the list. If PC successfully boots to the "Safe Mode" desktop, something that's loading at normal startup may be causing the problem. In that case, you may have to do a System Restore using last available restore point and see if that helps. Personal files shouldn't be affected by the Restore, but you will have to reinstall those last updates again.

4 Posts

January 15th, 2016 06:00

Confirmed.  Updating to Windows 10 on my XPS 2710 bricked it.  Just got it back from Dell Out of Warranty Service Dept after paying around $300 to get it repaired.  It came back with a note saying IO/Daughter board, Main Logic Board, and Hard Drive was replaced.  

47 Posts

January 21st, 2016 06:00

I wonder if there is a difference in getting parts if you want to install it yourself.  For example, if I would of paid Dell the $300 to have someone come out to repair it, would they then all of a sudden have access to the motherboard?

January 22nd, 2016 00:00

Can confirm the motherboard had to be replaced.Now fixed by Dell..on extended warranty no mention of windows 10 being at fault   the fact the fan was very noisy before hand sounded like likely motherboard cimmin in the 21 inch apparently ours is the 27 inch just glad to get it fixed, and the shop we got it from had to chase up Dell nit an easy task by sounds of it, but its sorted at long last.

No Events found!