Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2010 15:00

Dell and USB boot error

I've seen quite a few complains on the web about this, so I believe it is not just me (nor specific to the Vostro 200, but also affecting other Dell models).

I have a Vostro 200 (bios 1.0.16), and it does not boot from USB.

Using F12 it goes to the boot menu and shows the USB pendrive correctly recognized, but selecting it for booting results in a "Boot error" message.

Tried with different pendrive models, and boot images, all of them working on other computers (including a Dell Latitude 5400 notebook).

Has anyone been able to boot from a USB drive using a Vostro 200? Which bios version?

Thanks,

Joao

1 Message

February 12th, 2011 00:00

Are there any news on that topic?

Thanks 

Hans

9 Posts

October 21st, 2012 16:00

Hi, depending on the USB drive, I managed to boot my Vostro 200:

1 - With a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB created from Kubuntu's Startup Disk Creator, using Plop boot manager called from Grub2 (not a good solution, as you need grub2/plop starting from the hard disk anyway)

www.plop.at/.../index.html

2 - With 32GB pendrive (recognized by lsusb as ID 13fe:3d00 Kingston Technology Company Inc.) created with Yumi (www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator), recognized by the Vostro 200 BIOS boot menu as a "Hard Disk/USB-HDD0 USB DISK 2.0 PMAPCa", I could finally manage to boot directly from the Dell boot menu by configuring the BIOS as: Integrated peripherals -> Usb device setting -> Usb operation mode -> Full/Low Speed (instead of High Speed).

Interestingly, without this setting even with plop it is not possible to boot this 32GB pendrive (plop doesn't even load the menu).

Apart from being big, the main difference I see in the 32GB pendrive is that Yumi creates a NTFS filesystem right on /dev/sdX (no partition number).

This BIOS setting does not help with the Sandisk 8GB, which has proper partitions, and is recognized by the boot menu as "Removable/USB-ZIP0 Sandisk Cruzer".

You guys might try this combination (Yumi-created boot pendrive, Full/Low Speed BIOS setting) with different pendrives and post your results. With Yumi it is possible to create boot pendrives for Windows bootable ISO images too.

Joao S Veiga

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 21st, 2012 18:00

@Joao

Why are you replying to a thread that more than 1.5 years old?

No Events found!