Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2013 00:00

Dell dimension 4600i bios version A08

When I turn computer on I see on the monitor Primary 0 Drive not found, Keyboard Failure, Enter Password, if I Hit F-2 for Setup or F-12 for Boot menu it says Number of unsuccessful Password attempts: 7,System Halted! Must power down. Any suggestions please. 

1.3K Posts

July 18th, 2013 01:00

Hi Aris3,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Did you earlier use a system password to log into your Dell Dimension 4600?  Please run the diagnostics to determine exact point of  failure. It does seem that the hard drive on your computer has failed or is not detected by the system. The Dell Diagnostics Utility is a hardware diagnostic program that is available on the Dimension Resource CD or  through  the "Utility Partition" populated with 32-bit diagnostics. This Utility Partition feature allows you to access the diagnostics through the Boot Menu using a single keystroke during boot, F12.

Dell Diagnostics allows you to perform the following tests:

• Test All Devices (tests all hardware on the computer)
  • Test One Device (single testing for a specific hardware)
  • Advanced Testing (customization to perform multiple tests on specific hardware)

To start the Diagnostics using the Dell Dimensioin Resource CD:

• Configure your system to boot to the CD or DVD drive.
  • Insert the Dell Dimension Resource CD into the CD or DVD drive and boot the system. A boot menu appears.
  • Press the keys to highlight Start computer with CDROM support and press the key. The system will scan for CD drives, the message "Drive x: = Driver MSCD001 unit 0" appears (where x is the letter assigned to the CD or DVD drive), and then the A:\> prompt appears.
  • At the command prompt, type x: and press the key, where x is the drive letter assigned to the CD or DVD drive.
  • Type dosmenu and press the key. The Dell Diagnostic Menu appears.
  • Press the <2> key. The Dell Diagnostic software will start.

Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

6 Posts

July 25th, 2013 18:00

No.

6 Posts

July 25th, 2013 18:00

I can not run the diagnostics, I can't do anything, as soon as it comes on ask for a password. I never use a password to log in before. Please help.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 25th, 2013 20:00

You might try clearing the CMOS, which I am thinking will eliminate the password prompt.

1.3K Posts

July 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi Aris3,

We understand how frustrating this can be. What kind of password is it requesting for? Is it a system  password? Would you be able to attach a screenshot? Please click on the links below for steps to resolve password related issues on your desktop computer. Once the password issue is resolved, run the diagnostics on your computer.

How to replace/reseat a CMOS battery: http://dell.to/17I00Y1

How to use the jumper to reset the BIOS password on your Dell desktop computer:  http://dell.to/13KK9Yv

Let us know if further help is needed.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 26th, 2013 12:00

Clearing CMOS does not clear BIOS password.

Locate the 3-pin password jumper (CLR PSSWRD) on the system board, and attach the jumper plug to pins 2 and 3 to clear the password.

NOTE: When you receive your computer, the jumper plug is attached to pins 1 and 2.

1.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 06:00

Hi Aris3,

We hope you were able to run the diagnostics to determine exact point of failure.

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

6 Posts

July 29th, 2013 23:00

Thank you very much, the problem has been corrected

6 Posts

That did it, thank you very much.

6 Posts

That corrected the problem, thank you very much.

1.3K Posts

July 31st, 2013 08:00

Hi Aris3,

That is great news. It is delightful to know that the issue is resolved now.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

No Events found!