Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2015 18:00

Dell dimension 9200 2 short beeps and lights 1-2-3

Hi,

I have a Dimension 9200 bought around 2008. About 3 weeks ago, I started having issues powering up, until the computer wouldn't start. The lights said a bad video card, so I took out the nvidia 260 and put the original video card back in and the computer worked OK with the original video card. After another week or so, the computer wouldn't boot. I bought a used motherboard, and replaced it. When I powered up the computer, I got 2 short beeps and 1-2-3 lit up on the panel. The seller didn't know what was up, so I sent the motherboard back, and got a replacement The replacement board is in, but it still gives me 2 short beeps, and 1-2-3 are lit. The power light is a solid green

So what do these beeps and lights mean together?

Thanks.

Frank

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 16th, 2015 19:00

Beep codes should be in groups of three, separated by a short pause eg, 1-pause-1-pause-1. So if you only hear 2 beeps, that's not helpful.

Version of Windows?

According to the manual, G-G-G-(off) means "Another failure has occurred", and:

1. Ensure that all hard drive and CD/DVD cables are properly connected to the system board
  2. If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to ensure that it is functioning properly
  3. If the operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check system setup (see  to ensure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.

When that's all done, and you're sure everything is installed correctly and cables properly connected, remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery. Then see if it boots with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

If still no go, you'll have to strip it down to bare essentials by removing all PCI cards, except known working video card, all RAM modules except the one in slot 1, disconnect all drives except boot hard drive, etc. Then do the "battery thing' and see if it boots now...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 16th, 2015 19:00

Hi,

I have a Dimension 9200 bought around 2008. About 3 weeks ago, I started having issues powering up, until the computer wouldn't start. The lights said a bad video card, so I took out the nvidia 260 and put the original video card back in and the computer worked OK with the original video card. After another week or so, the computer wouldn't boot. I bought a used motherboard, and replaced it. When I powered up the computer, I got 2 short beeps and 1-2-3 lit up on the panel. The seller didn't know what was up, so I sent the motherboard back, and got a replacement The replacement board is in, but it still gives me 2 short beeps, and 1-2-3 are lit. The power light is a solid green

So what do these beeps and lights mean together?

Thanks.

Frank

unkfrank

Two short 'Beeps' are not a valid code.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-9200_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

G-G-G-Y diagnostic lights indicate 'Another failure has occurred'

Try using Dell's troubleshooting steps first to see if they make a difference.

Quote:

"Ensure that all hard drive and CD/DVD cables are properly connected to the system board"

No difference, try the following:

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try this:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU may be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.
Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.
If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, then it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor.

Note: The good news is, processors rarely fail, as the only method I know of checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Note: The replacement Dimension 9200 motherboards that are purchased, are usually used/pulls and are the same age as the 9200 that you already have

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 17th, 2015 06:00

GGG off with 2 beeps means the motherboard feels you are attached to the integrated video (which has a place on the motherboard but no connector) but you have an add on video card with no monitor attached or bad power supply has fried it. If you could see something it would say the message below. Its also possible that the hard drive has died to Black Screen of death.  Detach the data cable on the hard drive and turn off power down unplug turn back on and see if it says no hard drives found.

8 Posts

March 17th, 2015 08:00

First, thank you everybody for taking the time to help me.

I went and disconnected everything and reattached the cables, video, etc. This time, I heard the 2 beeps again, but saw on the display "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure". Got into the BIOS and resorted the boot order and disabled the floppy disc option. So rebooted, then got a "Bootmgr is Missing" error... I have two hard drives installed, one as a backup (I know not the best option, but it is what it is for now) and I set the wrong drive to boot first. So I got the order resorted, correctly this time, and all seems to be well in Motherboard Land again

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 17th, 2015 11:00

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 17th, 2015 14:00

unkfrank

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

Bev.

No Events found!