Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2014 19:00

Dell e521 - Keyboard Failure

Hi, my problem is:

Diskette drive 0 seek failure
Keyboard failure

I have been searching, and i find out this is a common problem ... but no one seems to know how to fix it!
I can't enter the BIOS, cause the keyboard doesn't work.
I tried to reset the bios, remove the BIOS battery, all the USB ports, press the power button for 60 seconds to remove the energy, press f1 really fast... nothing works ! The common solution is to buy a new motherboard, but i don't want to do that cause i'm technical support, and the computer was working!
The rear USB ports are working cause my mouse works.
I'm really disappointed with Dell because no one seems to know how fix this common issue!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 18th, 2014 13:00

Have you tested this keyboard on a different PC or a different keyboard on this PC? Maybe it's just a keyboard failure?

Have you tried different rear USB ports?

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery? CR2032 3-volt lithium ion battery, ~$2 at discount stores.

Who says this is a "common issue"..?

July 20th, 2014 03:00

First thank you for reply

I tested the keyboard in other desktop and it's working. But the opposite, I didn't tried, because the computer was working and the keyboard was connected and working.

The S.O. was too slow, so I tried to reinstall Windows XP 32 bit, but i was not able to enter the BIOS.
After a search, I find out that BIOS has the option USB legacy in BIOS, but how do I enter the BIOS to active USB legacy, with the keyboard USB who is deactivated, It's a loop. And the Dimension e521 doesn't have ps2.

Then, I reset BIOS e BANG!

diskette seek 0
keyboard failure
Invalid configuration information – please run setup program

press F1 to continue, F2 to setup

I tested every USB port, front and back.

I never replaced battery. It's possible to be it?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 20th, 2014 12:00

Not sure I followed all that... :emotion-7:

I don't see an option for "Legacy USB" in BIOS setup in the manual. USB is either on (default) or off.

Since you're getting a floppy diskette seek error after resetting BIOS, that sounds like BIOS was reset to defaults when you removed the battery. The floppy drive controller is ON by default in BIOS setup.

A motherboard battery is inexpensive and might be worth replacing, even if that only rules it out as part of the problem.

Do you have, can you borrow or purchase an inexpensive USB hub with its own external power supply brick? With the PC off, plug the brick into a wall outlet and the hub into a rear USB port. Connect the keyboard through the powered hub and then turn the system on. See if the keyboard works now.

No Events found!