Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 11th, 2010 23:00

Dell gx270 - failure to start after Bios upgrade.

Dell gx270 - failure to start after Bios upgrade.

I found this on Experts Exchange, http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Components/CPU_Processors/Q_23227382.html,

but must pay for the solution and I am not even sure it will fix my issue.

This user had his problem on a "Dell 4700c desktop, 3 y/o.  WinXP - Pro SP2. ". My problem is with an Optiplex gx270.  I was

trying to prepare the system to run openSUSE v11. The openSUSE HCL states ,http://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Dell_desktops:

OptiPlex GX270 w/ 82865G chipset       11.0                                          Other : Bios A07           Everything works without a glitch.

OptiPlex GX270 w/ 82865G chipset      11.1                                          Other : Bios A02, A07   32-bit. Everything worked, BUT box freezes repeatably (ping-able but nothing else). MemtestX86+ ran several hours. Same box flawless with SuSE 9.3 Professional. HT off.

so I upgraded my bios from A04 to A07 and this is what I get

At power on the gx270 lists the bios as Pheonix Rom BIOS 1.10 A07 <== This at least came complely on A02

message====> "Previous attempts at booting this system have failed checkpoint [EMem]. For help resolving this

problem please note this and contact Dell Technical Support. <==== message flashes quickly and then disappears

message====> Going to sleep  <==== message flashes quickly and then disappears

black screen

this process is consistent  after power off, wait 15 to 30 seconds. power up

NOTE: I was able to access the setup screens onet time only

How to recover from this situation ?

How to reprogram or replace the bios PROM to previous version, or at least a version that works?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

======================== user with very similar issue on Experts Exchange ==============

Hi

User running Dell 4700c desktop, 3 y/o.  WinXP - Pro SP2. 

Pentium 4 Processor 540 (3.2 Ghz) with HT technology. 1GB RAM .

Machine running normally - no problems prior to this event.

User upgraded Dell Support utility, then proceeded to upgrade several software components based on recommendations from Dell Support Utility.  Upgrade included the bios, per Dell recommendation to Phoenix POM Bios Plus Ver. 1.10 A07.   Upgraded 3-4 other applications - don't remember which ones.

Hot reboot - machine operating normally.  No problems.

Next cold reboot - get major error message on black screen:

"Incompatible processor detected. System halted!"

Unable to access bios setup screen using F2.  Won't boot from Dell OEM recovery disk. 

Machine locked up.

How to recover from situation ?

How to reprogram or replace the bios PROM to previous version, or at least a version that works.

Dell techie admitted that upgraded bios installation may cause this type of hang.

Please advise.

=========================================================================

1 Attachment

2 Posts

August 12th, 2010 04:00

Thanks to all that attempt to help

1 Message

March 1st, 2011 00:00

was there a resolution to the issue? If so, what was it? I'm having the exact same problem - same computer GX270.

No Events found!