Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2017 04:00

Dell inspiron 660 will not start up?

Hi

Pc has worked fine for years.

This morning it froze so had to force a reboot as could not get into task manager.

Just got the dell logo...........

So disconnected everything and held power button for 20 seconds.  Turned it back on. F2 and F12 does nothing.

Dell logo and "preparing automatic repair" ran for 20 or 30 mins.

Nothing happened. So tried to restart with the old windows 8 cd.

Got into a test screen and it said "no hard drive detected"

Is it dead forever?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 17th, 2017 05:00

Opening a case and reseating components is normal, everyday troubleshooting. Just take it one step at a time. 4 years for a computer is good.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2017 08:00

Thanks Chris. Did the process twice, second time with tech support on the phone, hard drive is just dead.  Disappointing.  With a PC nearly 5 years old should I replace the hard drive or just buy a whole new PC?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 16th, 2017 05:00

Here is the Inspiron 660 Owner's Manual. You need to read through it. Then open the case, reseat all cabling, cards in slots, ram in slots, drive cabling, everything. Then close it up and power on. Press F2, can you enter the BIOS and see the drives? If not, power off and replace the CMOS coin cell battery. Then re-test.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2017 00:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  gosh that sounds complicated. 110 pages in the manual. do you think this will actually work?

5 Posts

November 17th, 2017 00:00

This is actually my third Dell desktop. First one purchased 2005 that crashed and failed. Next one March 2009. My current Dell desktop was bought March 2013. So each desktop lasted around 4 years with probably an hour's work everyday do you think that's normal have I been very unlucky with Dell machines?

5 Posts

November 17th, 2017 08:00

Ps. If l get a new HDD would I need the Seagate Barracuda with the same code as the dead one?

No Events found!