Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2010 12:00

Dell laptops - two observations and a question (or two)

First time I've posted to any forum (rather than a mailing list) whatsoever.

Firstly, I'd like to ask if anyone has purchased the new Precision M6500, and if so, I'd be grateful if they would say how they're finding it. Hopefully no really troublesome issues. In particular, are they pleased with the RGB LED-backlit WUXGA display?

Now my two observations, for what they're worth. I'm well-disposed towards Dell because my first and only Dell laptop, which I purchased almost 7 1/2 years ago (!), is still serving me pretty well (though rather underpowered by today's standards). It's an Inspiron 8200. One of the reasons I bought it was for the UXGA display. Maybe I've just been lucky, to have it be so reliable.

Second observation is that over the last several years, gathering online info about various consumer products that I wanted to purchase, there always - irrespective of the manufacturer - seem to be people who write to forums with bad experiences. I'm hoping that Dell is not especially blame-worthy.

I've just read the Open Letter to Dell in which the writer reported very poor customer service. Anybody had good customer service from Dell?

Anyway, if anyone can let me have some feedback on the Precision M6500, I'd be very grateful.

Alex Landau

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 21st, 2010 13:00

As this is the DESKTOP section of the forum, best to repost your Laptop issues in the Laptop section of the forum  Click Me

There are posts on here about disgruntled customers, but there are posts around the web about disgruntled customers from all vendors (including Apple).  Most customers will not make a post about how happy they are with service, just the ones that have had bad service or just like to complain. 

148 Posts

January 21st, 2010 14:00

For info that is not part of Dell, but has a section dedicated to Dell, I would try try Notebook Review. They get a decent amount of traffic and helpful folks that will be happy to answer any questions. I used them to help in my purchase of my Latitude E6500...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

January 22nd, 2010 04:00

Thanks, Fireberd, for pointing out my mis-posting. I'll post something to the proper forum.

Cheers, Alex

January 22nd, 2010 04:00

Thank you Noonin. I hadn't known that the notebookreview site had a Dell-specific section. I'll see if I can get any actual user experience reports there.

Cheers,

Alex

53 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 06:00

I have had pretty ggod luck/experience with Dell over the years.  I have a numvber of Dells that I use in my business and home.  We use a desktop Dimension 9100 that is 6 or 7 years old that has performed pretty flawlessly.  More to your point, and E1705 laptop that is 4 or 5 years old that is a tad slow but performs without problems.  Only replacement is a battery two years ago.  Also have an XPS M1330 that is a very nice and very portable unit.  I only kept the warranty for 1 year, and when it was about 2 years old the display puked.  I think it may have been caused by very high humidity, as the day it died, we had a sudden change in weather and virtually everything in the house was wet.  I happened to be doing a defrag at the time and chose to let ti run.  The repair process was painful.  Dell had me place a deposit of $5xx.00 dollars so they could send me a return box.  They said the repair would be applied to that amount and any overcharge refunded.  What do you think the repair cost????  The person who arranged the repair also suggested getting a new service contract for a few hundred more.  If it dies again, I will just buy new.  It seems to me that Dell used to be very responsive to customer problems.  I'm inclined to think they have abandoned that model.

I am in the process researching replacement for the Desktop 9100.  I looked at Dell XPS8100 and 9000, but after following these forums for a month or so, I am inclined to do a custom built.  I can put together a very nice box for about the same price as a Dell.  I am looking at an Asus P7H55M-PRO and using an i5 Clarkdale processor and using the onboard graphics.  I have built several boxes over the years, but wifey just wants to go to the computer and have it work 100% of the time which the Dell 9100 has done. 

No Events found!