Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2009 19:00

Dell motherboard support

I have a small and innocent doubt. I have been upgrading my Dell Optiplex 745 vith a video card, more RAM and a new hard drive, however, I expect in upgrading the processor as well. The motherboard model is 0RF703, and it comes with a Pentium D of 3.00 GHz, dual core of course. My objective is to change it for a Core 2 Duo so I can have a better performance, but there lies my problem. I have read over the internet that if it supports dual-core, a Pentium D or a Pentium dual-core, then of course it supports a Core 2 Duo, but does not support a Core 2 Quad. Dell has no info about it, so I can't really have full confidence of this support. If anyone knows if this motherboard supports a Core 2 Duo, I'd be happy to know. Thanks a lot.

4.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 08:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

You're right to be sceptical, because it's unwise to assume that a motherboard which supports Pentium "dual-core" CPU's, will support Core2Duo CPU's.

However, the Dell Optiplex 745 reviewed by PC Pro in January 2007 has a Core2Duo CPU in it.

Strangely - and annoyingly though... each of the sites I found which are selling 0RF703 motherboards for the Dell Optiplex 745, mention everything they support... except the CPU's :emotion-43:

So you'll have to make your own enquiries, to get confirmation of whether your particular motherboard supports them?

Dell tech might be your best bet?

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

January 18th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the info, however, Dell tech would tell me nothing about the motherboard support, that's why I've posted my doubt here. Anyway, the Optiplex 745 reviewed at PC Pro you mention, for the picture showed there, it's the small form factor, mine is the minitower, the big one, and it doesn't mention anything about the motherboard, except at the end, in the specifations, where it says it is an intel motherboard, which I can identify Q965 as the chipset. If I'm not wrong, that's the one in my motherboard, since I remember it being as integrated graphics, but I'm not sure if it covers anything else in the board, so the motherboard there mentioned doesn't really help me resolve my problem.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2009 21:00

Optiplex 745 Small Tower factor will support E6600@2.40GHz . Still they are some problems apparently with CPU's above that.

4 Posts

May 8th, 2009 08:00

I will add that I just purchased and tried a E7500 45nm CPU with no luck.  I now have to send it back to newegg and pay $21.00 restocking fee.  So just to try it it cost me about $30.  :emotion-9:

This is even with the latest bios 2.6.2 - after contacted dell tech support they were of no help whatsoever.  The woman kept refering to my video card.  duh!

Matt

1 Message

March 4th, 2014 23:00

I dont know what dell specs say and do not say but i have the 745 the big one tower with orf703 .. i found a q6600 quad core cpu , put it on with some thermal paste and it work very good , no blue screen , no stuck , no problems at all ... the score at windows experience is 7.1 ,,, anddd my old cpu was e6600 core2duo showed 6.3 score

No Events found!