Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2014 22:00

Dell one 2330 turn off computer but leave the display on

So I recently bought a Mac Mini and love the fact that  I can hook it up to my Dell one 2330 via HDMI. The only issue is that I have to turn on the computer then switch the input video source and leave the computer running while I use the Mac. Is there any way I could just turn off the computer and leave the display on for my Mac?

Thanks,
Keith

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 26th, 2014 00:00

Hi Keith,

There are three buttons above the power button on the Dell One 2330. Press the button on the bottom to display the display input menu. Then press the top or middle button to move the selector up or down to choose the VGA option so that you can use it has a external display.

78 Posts

July 26th, 2014 00:00

The only way that's possible is to take off the laptop monitor and install this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-VGA-DVI-Audio-LCD-controller-board-for-lcd-panel-DIY-LCD-monitor-/170901386781

8 Posts

July 26th, 2014 14:00

I dont think any of you got my point. Mac mini is a little box computer that need a display to work. I dont have any external displays. I am using Dell one 2330 as the display for the mac since it supports HDMI in.

I want to turn off the computer but not the Dell one 2330 display (so I can still use it to work with the Mac). I know that you can switch input source from the side button but there is no way to leave the HDMI video in and just shutdown Windows computer.

Hope this clarifies my question. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 26th, 2014 15:00

No you can't do that. When the computer is off there is no power to the internal display or anything else in the computer. The display is controlled by the video card in the computer and cannot use the mac mini video controller. You could use a desktop monitor or a big smart tv, but the all in one is more like a laptop and the screen is part of the computer. If the computer is turned off the screen doesn't work.

Read http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/features.html#thunderbolt 

No Events found!