Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2013 12:00

Dell optiplex 280 small form factor will not boot

I have aDell optiplex 280 small form factor and it gets to the windows screen and totally locks up. The screen goes black and the fan jets up when this happens I am unable to turn it off with the power button (which stays green the whole time). I can put a windows do home edition cd in and go to repair which is a command prompt. I will be very grateful for help!!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 1st, 2013 12:00

Given the age of the system the hard drive is likely dead.  This model also had a recall based on bad capacitors that ended Jan 31, 2008.

Amber power light indicates hardware failure.

Solid yellow

The Dell Diagnostics is running a test, or a device on the system board may be faulty or incorrectly installed.

If the Dell Diagnostics is running, allow the testing to complete.

Check the diagnostic lights to see if the specific problem is identified.

If the computer does not boot, contact Dell for technical assistance.

Blinking yellow

A power supply or system board failure has occurred.

Check the diagnostic lights to see if the specific problem is identified. Also, see "Power Problems."

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280
Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide out of warranty coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

We request that customers with qualifying systems contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965. Please note, affected parts will not be dispatched through the WPD program and therefore will not be eligible for labor reimbursement.

For Systems Under Warranty

If a desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors, contact Dell Technical Support to have the motherboard replaced as per the Warranty Service coverage contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If a desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, contact Dell Technical Support to have the motherboard replaced at no charge.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 30th, 2013 07:00

jakedm,

Does it also lockup when trying to boot into safemode?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 30th, 2013 11:00

To turn off a frozen computer, press and hold the power down for a long time--until it goes off. It could take 60 seconds or so.

3 Posts

January 31st, 2013 15:00

Yes it locks up when I try to start in safe mode, from a USB and a cd. The only thing it booted up was a fix-it cd

3 Posts

February 1st, 2013 18:00

Thank you every body very much. I took out the motherboard and found a lot of the capacitors had burst. So I will put in a new motherboard and hope that fixes it!

No Events found!