Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 7th, 2016 07:00

Dell optiplex 390 restarting on it's own?

Hey guys, I reloaded win7 on this unit, it started restarting on it's own after I choose the shut down option in windows and it shuts down but now "sometimes" when i go to the net it will shut down too and restart, any ideas please?

Hey guys, I reloaded win7 on this unit, it started restarting on it's own after I choose the shut down option in windows and it shuts down but now "sometimes" when i go to the net it will shut down too, any ideas please?

302 Posts

For example, if you mean update the display drivers in in the DM, it shows "The best driver software for your device is already installed". I have no idea what the "Bios video driver" is or how to update that?

302 Posts

Hello, since it will only restart "sometimes" while on the net it would be very difficult for me to troubleshoot in safe mode. I am not understanding how to" update the BIOS video drivers (if not yet) and disable all the power options"? Can you elaborate on those 2 issues please?

Hi Mikehende

Thanks for writing to us.

How does it work in safemode? 

Please update the BIOS video drivers (if not yet) and disable all the power options. 

Regards

302 Posts

January 7th, 2016 10:00

Power options set on "balanced" and Turn off display 10 minutes and Put computer to sleep 30 minutes.

I noticed the the vga port on the back as been pressed in on one side, could this be a graphics hardware problem?

I chose safe mode and no restarting, even when I shut down from safe mode I had to use the power button to startup the pc again, I did this 2x so the problem apparently doesn't exist in safe mode.

302 Posts

January 7th, 2016 18:00

So can I rule out software and declare this a mobo hardware issue?

January 8th, 2016 19:00

Hi,

Please send us the picture of the vga port. 

If the issue doesnt exist in safemode, there are chances it could be software issue. 

My best suggestion would be remove all power option and keep then to nothing / never, also under advanced power options disable all power options . Click on this link to check for advanced power options 

Post the above steps if issue still the same, reinstall windows afresh (you should backup the data). If the issue is still the same, then definitely a hardware issue.

Regards

January 10th, 2016 20:00

Hi,
We are awaiting your response

Regards

302 Posts

January 11th, 2016 08:00

Hello and sorry for the delayed response. I powered up this morning to start working on it again and this time the windows repair completed and all looks fine, so far, I will continue testing until tomorrow to know for sure and will let you know..

302 Posts

January 11th, 2016 10:00

It's not restarting while the pc is on or in use anymore but "sometimes" when I choose the shut down option in windows, it will restart on it's own. I have done as suggested with the power and advanced power options, doesn't help. Anything else I can try please?

No Events found!