Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2010 07:00

Dell total upgrade - help needed!

Here is the deal: I have a Dell Dimension 3000, which I have been happily using for over 5 years.  However, it seems to be the time to upgrade, as the system is not getting any younger.

I would like to do a majority of the work myself.  Basically, my plan is to gut the dimension 3000 and fill it with new components (motherboard, hard drive,Processor, power source, etc, etc...)

My question:  Is this possible?  I have heard that dell cases tend to have custom sized components (such as motherboard) thus making it hard to find parts that would fit.

Is it worth saving the case?  If so, could I shop for modern dell components?  Or, if I am looking for a project, would I be better off buying a new case and starting from scratch?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

You are better off, if you want a new motherboard, to also buy a new case.  Dell uses a proprietary and undocumented front panel connector that is not compatibile with standard ATX motherboards.  The case cost is minimal considering you are basically building a new computer.  New motherboard, new CPU, new memory, new video, new power supply (if you are not replacing ALL of these components there is no use to "upgrade") and probably new hard drive and optical drive(s).  You will also need a new copy of Windows as the Dell supplied Windows disc will only install on a Dell motherboard/BIOS, but if you are building a new PC you will want to install Windows 7 anyway which will require purchasing the Windows 7 disc. 

The other option is to just buy a new PC.

Thanks, you gave me the answer that I thought I was going to get. :emotion-4:  I was simply hoping to salvage something from it, as I am not a waster.  New build it is.

No Events found!