Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2014 14:00

Desktop won't fully wake up on keyboard/mouse signal

Hi,

I'm having an aggravating problem with my old Inspiron 545 desktop.  Lately my machine won't wake up properly from either regular or hybrid sleep.  When the PC goes to sleep, the power button changes to an amber color from its usual white.  When I try to wake the machine with the keyboard or mouse, the PC does seem to respond  - the power button turns white, and I can hear fans start back up - but the machine does not fully turn back on. 

I can get the machine to wake back up, but only if I cycle the power button to turn the PC off and back on again.  At that point the computer will wake up from its prior state IF it was in a hybrid sleep mode before.

I've run a lot of diagnostics from the Dell support site, to no effect.  I've tried running powercfg a few times, but no joy.  I've also poked around the Device Manager but don't really get what I'm looking at. Any suggestions on what to check next would be appreciated.

My specific questions:

1. Shouldn't the PC wake fully from the keyboard or mouse from hybrid sleep?
  2. What is happening when the PC responds from the keyboard but doesn't seem to fully wake up?

PC: Inspiron 545

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 06:00

Hi J-locker,

To me, all indications are the system is waking up but with no display. Are you using integrated video or an add-on card?

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 20:00

I have a Radeon HD 4650 card.  I checked and the drivers are up to date, along with my BIOS.

jon

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 24th, 2014 06:00

Please understand that sleep problems are fairly common and can take a fair bit or trial and error. I'll refer you to this article for some ideas. The first thing to check is event viewer.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 26th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the link. Thus far I have come to the conclusion that there is something funky going on with my display drivers & that is causing my problem. I haven't solved it yet, but I think I'm on the right track. I have two new symptoms that lead me in this direction. First, I was having a different problem that I thought was unrelated: infrequently the screen would go black for a couple of seconds and give me the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error. Yesterday I ran the Microsoft FixIt patch #50848 and haven't seen the problem since. The second symptom is that I noticed that I couldn't print something out from Internet Explorer. Firefox, Word, and Acrobat all print fine, but IE11 won't let me print to the printer. (I have to create a pdf first, then print from Acrobat.) Microsoft's first suggested fix for this issue (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973479) is to update one's video driver. Anyway, after I did the Fixit install, I tried forcing sleep from the Start button. Now the power button turns off completely when asleep; the amber light isn't on and I can't wake the machine at all with the keyboard or mouse. I do have hybrid sleep enabled though. I'll try a few more things and see if anything changes. So that's three separate indicators that something funky is going on with the video card's driver. I've got the latest driver so maybe the next step is to contact the manufacturer, I don't know.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 29th, 2014 15:00

Thus far I'm still struggling to find the cause.

One additional thing I've noticed is that pushing the power button does the same thing as hitting the keyboard or moving the mouse as I attempt to wake the computer: the button changes from amber to white, the fans come on, etc., but the PC does not wake up.  Also, when I do this, the event is not captured in the Event Logs.  So I'm now looking for a detailed explanation as to what happens when the PC wakes from sleep, because the issue happens after the waking process starts but before it is recorded in the Event Logs.

DISPLAY ISSUES:  My display drivers are up-to-date.  I uninstalled my display drivers and then installed them straight from the AMD website.  I also no longer have the problem printing from IE11, which may or may not have been related to the display drivers.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 29th, 2014 17:00

You might consider restoring the factory hard drive image. I know it sounds a bit extreme but there's almost no way of telling what little tweak or major update might be causing the problem. A factory reset is quick and is very likely to solve the problem.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

June 14th, 2014 13:00

Finally solved the problem.  After a lot of struggle with this, a couple days ago, my computer wouldn't turn on at all.  Long story short, the power supply had given up the ghost.  Got it replaced, and now everything - including the sleep functionality - works fine.

Guessing that one of the rails wouldn't power up fast or clean enough to allow the wake functionality to work properly.

No Events found!