Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

April 28th, 2017 16:00

Devices NOT recognized by USB ports

I have a Inspiron 24 (Inspiron 7459) desktop with Windows 10. Neither my Ipod (charges but does not sync) or flash drive is recognized when plugged in. I've literally spent days researching the problem between Dell sites and Windows sites without any solutions that work.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 04:00

Hi garyjd1166,

Thanks for posting.

Your question doesn't list what you've tried so far, but first thing would be to check the device and see if it functions in another computer, next would be to check the drivers, make sure they're up to date and functioning, if all that's good, then try re-installing the drivers.  If that's not working, then try updating the BIOS, and lastly if all that is not fixing the problem, be sure everything is backed up and re-install the operating system. 

10 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 05:00

The question is what haven't I tried. This is my first Dell (and last) I've ever owned. It was a chore getting my ipod and a flash drive to work properly and now I'm back to square one. I had to do a factory restore as I was unable to resolve the BSOD (blue screen of death) which would not allow me to correct the issue. I'm sure I've pretty much exhausted most articles and videos dealing with ipods not syncing being recognized by the usb ports.

10 Posts

May 5th, 2017 15:00

I did however discovered/remembered there are two more USB 3.0 ports on the left side base of the PC. To my surprise the ipod and flash drive are recognized by these ports. Why it won't work with the ones on the right side is a puzzle to me. My printer is connected with the one on the right side and works fine. Not sure what the deal is between USB 2.0 ports and 3.0 ports?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 6th, 2017 16:00

More power from USB 3 than from USB 2 ports.

10 Posts

May 9th, 2017 14:00

You would think one type of USB port ( like my HP pc) could support both.

No Events found!