Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2011 13:00

Diagnostic Light Help

I have been working on my 2400 desktop for a while now and I need help.

I tried re-sitting the the memory cards, but that did not fix anything.

The diagnostic lights are as follows:

Blinking A - Amber/Green/Amber/Green OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN

B - Solid Amber

C - Solid Green

D - Solid Green

Please help me, thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 8th, 2011 13:00

macaluso624

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Are there any error messages?

The diagnostic lights sequence you posted, is not listed.

The Dimension 2400 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Try removing all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1, then see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Bev.

January 8th, 2011 14:00

Thanks for responding so quickly...I have tried all of those sequences and nothing works, I am fearful that the computer may just be dead, but I wanted explore all options before I admitted defeat.

The power light on the front remains a solid green and there is no display at all on  the computer monitor, so I have no way of seeing what is happening at all.

I have tried things suggested in the diagnostic guide, I even took out the wireless card, because I know it suggests unplugging the ethernet cables. I have unplugged it and held in the power button to drain the residual power in the pc and no sequence of cards works. The only progress I was able to attain was that the lights do not blink but remain a solid yellow on A and B when there are no memory cards placed in Slot 2.

So if I have one memory card in slot 1 and slot 2 is empty then the lights don't blink. If I have one memory card in Slot 2 and none in Slot 1, it will blink. So I am guessing that there is something wrong with slot 2, and not the memory cards, I just don't know what to do with that information.

Any other ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 8th, 2011 15:00

macaluso624

Sounds like it's time to buy a new computer.  

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 8th, 2011 17:00

You might try clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard  battery and pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec. Then reinstall the battery and see what happens when you try to boot.

Always unplug, power off and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before adding/removing any hardware.

Ron

No Events found!