Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 28th, 2002 14:00

Diagnostic RAM Test

I have a Dimension XPST 450 and I tried to use my Dell Diagnostics Version 4.03A diskette to run all the group test.
All the tests were performed with success except for RAM. In the upper left corner of my screen I got the following message which appeared in a black box:
NMI
CS Selector:0060
IP :0730
System Halted Memory Test

Outside the black box reads:
Pass 1: Testing from 100000 thru BFFFFFF
Address/stuck-bit test

Then when I try to shut-down I got a black screen that had in the upper left corner, Parity check 20000 and the system froze. What is all of this telling me?
Thanks,
CJ

2 Posts

January 19th, 2003 15:00

I glad to see someone else has the same problem...

Same machine : XPST450, 128 MB PC 100, Video card Diamond 16 MB TNT, BIOS upgraded to A11.  Everything is DELL original... 

The PC has always hung-up sporadically on video games. 

Dell changed the video card with the same results...

Anybody has a clue??

2.8K Posts

January 20th, 2003 20:00

Lussier4,
Your post is rather vague (important information like what operating system you're running and what games you're having problems with was omitted) but for starters you could use more RAM and a better video card. If you're trying to play any PC games that have been made in the last four years I'd be surprised if your system is meeting the minimum requirements for them.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2003 23:00

You are right Namek I could have been more explicit.  Here is more, I bought everything from Dell and here is what came out of the box:  XPST450 (PIII-450 MHz), 128 MB (SDRAM PC 100), Sound Blaster Live 512 V, 2X AGP with a 16 MB TNT Diamond video card, WIN 98, upgraded BIOS A11.  Everything is Dell factory installed and all upgrades on Dell support site and Microsoft site have been done.  The Dell game pack that came with the computer included Tomb Raider II. That game keeps locking up as well as any video games that has moderate action like Rogue Spear, Rayman2, Disney New Groove...  This PC exceeds all the above game requirements.  The games are never locking up at the same place.  They can run for an hour or can freeze 6 times in the same hour.  All the games are original and I have tried uninstalling/installing them but with no improvement.  All available patches and fix for the games have been done.  Dell Service changed the video card (same type) with no improvement.  I even tried opening the tower and putting a fan as I thought the boards where perhaps heating up, no luck.  I did change the memory module for an other 128 MB (SDRAM PC 100) and ran the same Dell Diagnostic check on the memory module.  Same result, the test starts and I get on the screen: Pass 1: Testing from 100000 thru BFFFFFF,  Address/stuck-bit test.

A second into the test, I get in the upper left corner a black box with the following message: NMI, CS Selector: 0060, IP: 0730, System Halted Memory Test.
Then if I try to shut-down, I get a black screen with the message: Parity check 20000 and the system is locked up.  Is it the original Dell Diagnostics V 4.03A that is not compatible with the latest BIOS A11 version?  I have no clue.  Even if it did, the PC still freeze with old games that are soliciting the video mode.  Is changing the video card the real solution?  If so, there must be quite a few PC sold with the same package by Dell that has the same problem.  Thanks for taking the time to read this post!

17 Posts

September 10th, 2015 11:00

RAM sticks, known for their chip creep and random failures, are among the more annoying pieces of hardware to pinpoint as the source of a technical issue. Before you start digging around in the tower, it's best to start with a quick and free memory check via Windows. This way, you'll know whether or not it's worth swapping around sticks of RAM to see which one is the dud.

Here's how to get started:

Step 1: Open the Start Menu and type in mdsched.exe, then press enter.

Step 2. A pop-up will appear on your screen, asking how you'd like to go about checking the memory. The first option will restart your machine and check the memory right now, and the second option checks the next time you choose to reboot. Pick the option that best suits your needs.

Step 3: Your computer will load a screen that shows the progress of the check and number of passes it will run on the memory. Watch the memory diagnostic tool for errors. If there are no errors, then it's likely that your RAM is not causing any issues, and it's time to investigate other hardware or software issues.

http://www.deskdecode.com/ram-test-how-to-test-pc-ram-working-properly-or-not/

No Events found!