Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2004 19:00

Digital Camera won't Download anywhere now . . .

Happy New Year all!

Basic problem: an HP 315 model digital still camera, which had no problem EVER downloading to my (Win98 operating system) machine, cannot complete a download to my new XPS Gen 2, Pentium 4, 3 GHZ speed, 2 GHZ DDR RAM. (Microsoft XP Home operating system)

The HP camera software connection icon shows the camera's USB  PC connection as active when I plug it in, and the Dell photo software shows the appearance of "Drive F" (clearly the camera).

But when attempting to download the photos from the camera to the computer, I get error messages such as "There are no photos on this camera," to "(Camera) Drive not formatted," (not true, it IS formatted and has 149 photos on it, viewable on the camera screen).

Here's the kicker: when I take the camera to my old WIN98 machine, where it ALWAYS downloaded perfectly, I GET THE SAME ERROR MESSAGES, and can't download the pictures.

BTW, its NOT the photo disk.  I tried three other photo disks, and got the same errors.

It seems that connecting the digital camera to the USB port on my new XPS computer did something that seemingly made the camera "undownloadable" anywhere, not just on the new computer??

Since its NOT the photo disk, and the camera DOES show up on the computers when connected to the USB ports, what could the problem be?

Thanks,

Paul, in Sacramento

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 13th, 2004 20:00

I've never heard of a PC damaging a camera or any external USB device.  Since the camera is apparently an older camera, maybe some command confused it?  Try doing an internal reset of the camera and you may have to reformat one of your blank memory cards (even if it is formatted).  Then see what happens.  Obviously the camera is not WIA compliant (Windows (XP) Image Acquisition compliant), which is not uncommon even with cameras only a year or so old.  Also, if you have USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports, use the 1.1 ports.  The faster 2.0 ports may be an issue with the camera, although the 2.0 port is supposed to be backward compatible with 1.1 devices.

Have you tried to access the drive letter for the camera with the Windows Explorer?  That is how I have to access my less than 2 years old Olympus digital camera.  I access it with the Windows Explorer and I can also transfer pictures to the hard drive and even delete pictures on the camera's memory card.

Finally, using a card reader for the card instead of using the camera doesn't make any difference, if it's not WIA.

106 Posts

January 13th, 2004 23:00

Are you using a CF card bigger than 32 mb, and are you downloading by using the camera and cable it came with?  If you are using a card bigger than 32 mb, it won't work on XP.  I have this camera and had a problem like you.  The solution is to buy a card reader and take the CF out of the camera.  It will download no problem as XP treats it just like another drive.  I also discovered a program somebody wrote to force the camera to download from cards bigger than 32 mb.  I did download it but never installed it as I got a card reader instead.  I was unsure where the program came from and didn't want to load some piece of junk on my hard drive that might cause me problems.  The card reader was simply an easier solution.

Found this on the HP site:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hpphotosma22062&docName=bpy60116&cat=solve

Message Edited by RedsB3 on 01-13-2004 08:08 PM

21 Posts

January 15th, 2004 19:00

Thanks folks!

After reloading HP software, and re-setting the camera, my XPS began to recognize smaller megabyte memory cards.

But not the 128 MB card that my old Windows 98 system recognized.

Sigh . .  .

Thanks for the tips.  I'm on my way to get a card reader . . .

Thanks,

Paul, in Sacramento

21 Posts

January 18th, 2004 07:00

The card reader works perfectly.

Thanks again!

Paul

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 02:00

RedsB3, or anyone, I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me where to get that fix, the one that forces the software to download images off CF cards larger than 32mb on the HP PhotoSmart 315 camera, under Windows XP.

I am having trouble getting any card readers where I live, and my vacation photos are still waiting to be downloaded off my 128mb CF card.  I can't use the card till I get them off.

I've been searching the net for hours, over about 2 days now, and can't find anything on it, except this other reference to it;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000051YGP/ref%3Dnosim/omnipotentcom/104-9687567-4975959
(search for "Problems w/ CF over 32 = BS")
And that was an anonymous post, so I can't contact them about it.  RedsB3 is the only other person I've seen mention it.

So if anyone knows of that program, please let me know.

No Events found!