Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2005 21:00

Dimension 2350 Hardware Failure or Hardrive failure

My computer has been recently crashing alot, it kept saying the message about Bios or something close to that, I was quite sure, since the bios message kept changing over and over. I had thought that my hard drive had fail on me, so i went out to buy a new hardrive and reformatted everything, but then it happen again, at first i came to the conclusion it was my hardrive again, but when i tried take a different hardrive with another Os, it turn out to be the computer. Also when i took the new hardrive that had been reformatted, try to put it as a secondary slave on another computer, it would not boot up at all. So both my computer and my hardrive wont load at all, a bios message keeps appearing up. What can i do to fix this problem? I dont have a slight clue what to do first, i called up a friend who knew some computer, he told to reset the bios, listening to instruction I still i have some trouble on what to do.

Product key
BWP4F-WDGT4-8RR2R-QTP4W-KXT6G

1.6K Posts

November 13th, 2005 22:00

i need to know what the bios message says.

when you boot up your pc, at the dell logo press F12 to enter startup menu. Select boot to utility partition. The do a diagnostic on the whole pc.

PS I CANNOT HELP YOU UNLESS YOU TELL ME WHAT THE MESSAGE SAYS! :smileywink:

dimension 2350 - intel celeron 2.20ghz 30gb hd 512mb of ram

dimension 2400- intel celeron 2.60ghz 80gb hd 512mb of ram

1 Message

October 1st, 2017 11:00

I am so upset. We bought a laser engraver / cutter. It came with a Dell Dimension 2350 Desktop computer because the laser engraver is so old that it doesn't have the modern connections. Everything was going great until I absentmindedly set Windows Update to automatically update on this old Windows XP Home Edition. After a few updates, my harddrive is no longer recognized. I have tried taking it out and putting it back in thinking maybe a connection came lose, I tried booting to the utility partition but it says there is none. I cannot lose the Corel Draw and Venus Laser Engraver software that came with this or my Engraver machine is no good anymore. Please help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 1st, 2017 13:00

It sounds like your hard drive has failed.  Power on and press F2.  Is the hard drive showing in setup?  If not, unplug the system, hold the power button for 30 sec and disconnect and reconnect the power and data cables to the hard drive.  Power up and check again - if the drive still doesn't show, it's toast.  You can replace the drive, but will need to look at the used or old-stock market -- this system uses the older parallel ATA (EIDE) format, which was last produced in mid-2011.

If the drive DOES show, restart, press F12 and boot to the Dell diagnostics.   Run an extended test on the hard drive.  If it fails the diagnostic, see above.  If it doesn't, try booting again.

If you get the system running, BACK IT UP!  You're running a system that's 15 years old now - and nothing lasts forever.

If the drive has failed and you have no backup, you're going to need to get the software you require from the original device manufacturer (assuming you don't have a copy of it now).

No Events found!