Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2010 23:00

Dimension 2350 wont boot

Hello, working on friends dimension 2350 as it will no longer boot for her. lights 1 2 3 are yellow 4 is green..... meaning BIOS failure, no BIOS updated (as far as I know) any solution or do I need to tell her she needs a new board?

Best,

Michael

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 19th, 2010 03:00

If the BIOS is corrupted (or failed) the ONLY option is a new motherboard.  However, as this uses a Dell custom OEM motherboard with a proprietary (and undocumented) front panel connector only another Dell 2350 motherbord will fit and work. 

In addition, the Dell provided Windows install disc will only install on a Dell motherboard. 

Considering the age of a 2350, the friend needs to weigh the cost of repairing the old PC.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 19th, 2010 10:00

You might try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes before reinstalling it and then attempting to boot up the 2350.

I think a standard micro-ATX mainboard will fit in the case, but the front panel wiring, although labeled, is proprietary and requires modification to work. The front USB and headphone port wiring is both proprietary and unlabeled.

25 Posts

January 20th, 2010 13:00

Thanks guys for the reply, but NO, none of these resolved the issue. I had the CMOS battery out for a 24 hour period and even tried booting to POST with battery out but nothing. DIAG lights remained the same. I did mess with the two jumpers on the board and actually got some result but still not botting to POST. I was more hoping that someone had and idea of resetting the BIOS just enough to reinstall the firmware. I have done this before on a Power Edge 1850 but that is a completely different type of setup. (along with alot more jumpers) Anyhow thank you again guys I simply think the board is dead. No worries about modding any computer I have done this type of work for years, luckily I manage to get things working correctly about 80% of the time. :-) I simply think I am just going to tell her to buy a new computer.

No Events found!