Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2009 05:00

Dimension 2400 Freezes

Hi, I have a dimension 2400. My problem is that the system suddenly freezes while I'm using it.

To better describe it, here's what happens:

1. Monitor goes off

2. The light for the CD & DVD drives plus the status light come on and stay on

3. The ABCD lights on the back all turn amber color.

This happens about everyday sometimes while I'm using the system and sometimes when I left the system on for a while and come back. It seems to be according more frequently now, usually it happens once a day about after 5 - 6 hours of use but yesterday it happen twice in the morning(about 1 - 2 hours after system startup) and once in the night.

I have tried looking up the problem online but without any success, I've also checked the System Codes and Messages for the 2400 but it didn't have the color that I mentioned above. There is also no beeps during startup or just before the system freezes.

The only new parts in the system are the DVD burner I put in and a 1gb ram. The system was running fine after I installed them which was almost a year ago for the DVD Burner and about 6 - 8 months ago for the ram. The System itself is about 3 - 4 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Posts

March 16th, 2013 08:00

I have a similar problem. I did a HDD diagnostics and it told me there was a read error on the hard-drive. I replaced it and now I get the same problem. Upon freezing, none of the four lights are on. I wonder if it is a motherboard issue.

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2013 00:00

Hi sid615,

Please share the system model and operating system installed.

Does it happen while using a specific application?

Do you get any error message on screen? If yes, please let me know the exact error message or paste a screenshot of same (if possible). 

You may run a diagnostic test on your computer to ensure the correct functionality of system hardware. You may use the resource CD and follow the steps given below:

• Insert Recovery CD
  • Shut down and restart the desktop
  • When Dell logo appears, immediately tap repeatedly

Note: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop; then shut down your computer and try again.

• When the boot device list appears, highlight the option CD/DVD/CD-RW and press
  • Boot from CD-ROM from the menu that appears and press
  • This message appears ‘Press any key to boot from the CD’
  • Promptly hit
  • Note: If you wait too long and Dell Diagnostic screen does not appear, then, shut down your computer and repeat all steps.

(Following screen appears): 

• Press  
  • When the Dell Diagnostics main menu appears, select the test you want to run
  • Select Custom Test (Refer to image below)

• Click <+> sign besides 'Hard Drive' (Refer to image below)
  • Highlight 'SATA Disk'
  • Place a tick mark in 'Non-Interactive Tests Only'
  • Click 'Run Test'

• For any problem encountered during a test, a message appears with an error code and a description of the problem
  • Write down the error code and problem description exactly as it appears

If you do not have the resource DVD, you can download the 'CW1374A0.exe' and save the Dell diagnostics from link:http://dell.to/WcNYmj . You may install the 'Diagnostics' on an 'External Media' (USB drive). Refer to the following 'image':

help drivers out-of-date high

Once the 'utility' is installed, you may boot the system with the 'USB flash drive' to initiate 'Diagnostics'. To boot from the 'USB drive', plug the 'media' in a 'USB port' > Power off the system > Power it back on > At Dell splash screen, repeatedly tap 'F12 key' > Boot from 'USB' > Tap 'Enter' 

Please share the findings. 

3 Posts

Hi,

Thank you for the response. The system freezes without respect to any specific application; there is no error message. You mentioned something about a failing power supply? That could mean something because it takes approximately the same amount of time prior to freezing.

Kind Regards,

Sid

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

A failing power supply can cause problems with the hard drive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2013 08:00

The hard drive is dying soon to be dead completely. :emotion-9:  And or the power supply is probably on its last legs.Both such items Die.  Its not a matter of IF its a matter of when.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 18th, 2013 11:00

Thank you for the response. The system freezes without respect to any specific application; there is no error message. You mentioned something about a failing power supply? That could mean something because it takes approximately the same amount of time prior to freezing.

The power supply is a relatively inexpensive component that is relatively easy to install. I'd suggest trying a new one.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2013 12:00

Given the age of the drive I would suggest both DRIVE and power supply which means Getting a GX620 instead as an upgrade.

3 Posts

March 25th, 2013 12:00

First, my apologies for responding slowly. More importantly, however, HDD and power supply solved the problem Thanks!

Sid

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 25th, 2013 13:00

Did you trace the problem to the power supply?

No Events found!