Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2008 14:00

Dimension 2400 Power Problem

Hello, All,

My 5 yr old 2400 won't power up. All I get is a flashing amber power light, which will stop if I hold the power switch for 5 seconds. No sounds or diag lights on back. I've disconnected everything except power switch cable and power supply cable: no change. Any way to test the power supply with it disconnected from the MB?

Many thx in advance,

Steve

4.4K Posts

November 25th, 2008 16:00

There are 4 diagnostic lights on the backpanel of the 2400.  Power up, observing these lights.  Do any stay illuminated, either yellow or green?

See this:  

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2008 17:00

steveje0521

If you are comfortable around computers, you could try the following to test the power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on and if power supply fan and hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

2400 systems have a open back, you can use most generic standard ATX PSU, with or without, the on/off switch and either a 20-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, you should be able to buy a compatible power supply from a local, or online computer store.

HOW to replace the PSU in a D-2400.

Bev.

7 Posts

December 5th, 2008 16:00

My neighbor called me last night to take a look at their Dimension 2400 which had the same symptoms. Using a power supply tester, I was able to confirm that the -5V supply was not present.

I've tried replacing the PS with a regular ATX one and can get the 2400 to boot the the BIOS, but it does not recognize any IDE devices.

Am I looking at a motherboard replacement as well?

Thanks...

John

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 5th, 2008 17:00

jruschme

First, make certain that all the data and power are properly connected and that all memory modules and cards are properly inserted into their slots.

No difference and as you have new Power supply, remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes or diagnostic lights on the front/back panel, then it would appear that motherboard has died.

Bev.

7 Posts

December 7th, 2008 16:00

Bev,

In my case, I can boot to the BIOS with the new Power Supply. I just can't see any of the IDE devices (HDD and CD-ROM).

I'm assuming that when the -5V on the original supply failed, it took out something on the motherboard.

John

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2008 18:00

jruschme

John

Are any of the diagnostic lights on the back panel lite, do you have any 'beeps' when the system tries to boot?

Have you tried checking the motherboard using the procedure I posted?

The 2400 troubleshooting guide is HERE. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

No Events found!