Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 20th, 2005 22:00

Dimension 2400 usb driver

Well, I'm trying to fix a computer for a friend of mine and have installed all the drivers except the driver for USB Controller, where do I get this driver??

August 17th, 2006 12:00

I am seeing the same problem on a client's Dimension 2400. Specifically: 1. Windows XP installed from scratch. 2. All Dell website drivers installed. 3. USB and all other devices work fine. 4. All updates done. 5. In the Device Manager, there is a question-mark category with an unknown USB device listed. If I delete it and reboot, Windows finds it again, but does not know any driver for it.

1 Message

September 24th, 2006 02:00

I'm working on my friends PC and I too have the same problem with the USB Controller in Device Manager after installing a retail version of Windows XP (Home or Pro), just as several people do, AND, as a Certified Computer Technician, I installed the Intel Chipset driver FIRST!

Furthermore, when you try to reinstall the Intel E7520 chipset driver, file # R79695, that was linked to for the Dell Dimension 2400, it's first installation screen shows that it is NOT for this model computer.

NOTE: Dell did NOT provide an operating system restore CD, so when the hard drive went bad, we couldn't reinstall Windows XP from the hard drive partition. Since my friend PAID for the computer with an operating system, this is just bad business, and the Dell Dimension 2400 she bought is junk. Enough said!

My friend will never buy a Dell again, due to these multiple problems.

EDIT: I just installed file # R79695, and even though the Dimension 2400 is NOT listed as a supported system, it in fact installed the Intel 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller -24CD component, solving the problem. But, you do need to be patient when it asks you whether you'd like to reboot, because it isn't done installing yet - give it 30 more seconds. DELL NEEDS TO UPDATE THIS DRIVER TO REFLECT SUPPORT FOR THE DIMENSION 2400 AND POST THIS DRIVER LINK in the appropriate place, and change its' priority as REQUIRED. Thank you.

Message Edited by pentiuman on 09-23-2006 10:17 PM

July 15th, 2010 17:00

I, too have encountered this very same problem while  "fixing"  a friend's computer (Dimension 2400). Here it is 2010 and DELL still has not included it into the 2400 driver listings.  :emotion-9:

As stated above, even after installing SP2 & SP3, it still kept coming up with driver for "USB Controller" not found.  You will find "R79695.exe" at "FTP.DELL.COM" under the directory "CHIPSET".  Scroll down toward the bottom of that page and you will find it.  Click on it and save it to your computer, then click on it to extract, then install it.  :emotion-21:

I still prefer a Distribution Disc.  You're "TOAST" when (not if) your HD dies on you.  For some reason (probably costs), DELL isn't being that considerate to customers.  Mounting it "inside" the cabinet would be even better so you can find it years later when you are replacing the HD.  :emotion-2:

6.4K Posts

July 15th, 2010 18:00

It was probably not included in the support list as it is not a universal problem.  I have had 3 Dimension 2400's under my care for about seven years and have not one time encountered this problem.  The original installation CD that was sent with the Dimension 2400 was Windows XP with SP-1a.  The Resource CD with the drivers and utilities included a supplemental driver for USB 2.0 for that particular service pack, but the file number doesn't match the one given in this thread so I don't know if it was an earlier version of the file.  If I try to load this file into my Dimension 2400 now, it is refused as my installation has been updated to SP-3; I forgot to do the install before performing the update but that doesn't seem to have hurt anything.

It would be interesting to know what conditions are necessary to encounter this error, but I rather suspect that the Dimension 2400 will be history before much longer.

July 15th, 2010 20:00

The Dimension 2400 comes with a single core 2.4GHz Intel CPU, supports up to 2GB of memory (this one has 512MB).  Even with the old 40GB disk (setting set to Bypass or Performance), it runs rather quickly.  I'd be curious to see what it would do with a faster disk.

The computer I have just restored did not have an original Installation Disk with it, only the Resource CD.  The Resource CD did NOT have the correct driver for the USB Controller, even though it contained a chipset driver, the XP distribution I had also did NOT have it, and Microsoft Updates did not provide it. 

I had no problems installing the driver I downloaded from the FTP site. 

No, it;s not a GAMER's Computer.  Personally, for the average adult browsing the Internet, I can see these being around for awhile, possibly with a faster disk and memory upgrades  ......

1 Message

June 26th, 2012 00:00

Dear sir,

I could not access my usb port,how can i access

6.4K Posts

June 26th, 2012 23:00

If the diagnostic lights on the rear of the computer are all green you can try correcting the USB driver by going to the device manager and uninstalling the USB controllers.  Once you restart the computer, Windows should find the USB ports and reload the drivers for them.

The USB drivers are a part of Windows, there is no separate driver download for them.  Provided you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 installed, you also have the necessary drivers for the USB ports.

No Events found!