Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2009 04:00

Dimension 3100 Front Audio not working

Until recently, Audio on my Dimension 3100 with onboard sound was working fine; I usually have a headphone connected to the front audio jack, but speakers were also working when connected to the back jack.

Yesterday, I re-installed WinXP (Home Edition, SP2) completely new; I also included the recommended SigmaTel Audio driver (STAC92XX C Major HD downloaded from the drivers section here). Since then, the back jack is working fine, but if I connect a headphone or speaker to the front jack, it remains completely silent. I did not find any specific option to adress this problem in the driver software...

Any suggestions are welcome :emotion-1:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Did you install the chipset drivers?  They MUST be installed before installing the Dell sound drivers. 

On a new/reinstall the correct install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers, such as sound, video, ethernet, etc.

If you didn't install the chipset drivers, install them, then reinstall the Dell sound drivers.  This usually takes care of sound problems.

Thanks, that indeed took care of the problem ( installing the chipset driver and THEN the sound driver without uninstalling them beforehand was sufficient). :emotion-21:

No Events found!