Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2009 16:00

Dimension 3100 Won't POST

Hello, I'm working on a Dimension 3100 that won't POST.  When you plug it in, there is an amber LED that lights up on the motherboard, but nothing happens when you push the power button.  I ordered a new(refurbished) motherboard from Dell, and still had the same problem.  So I ordered a new power switch board assembly and ribbon cable.  Still nothing when I push the power button.  I then put in a new power supply, still nothing when I push the power button.  I changed the processor with another one I had laying around(Pentium4 3Ghz, socket 775, 533FSB) and still can't get anything out of it.  Does anyone here have any ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 9th, 2009 08:00

You say, "still nothing when I push the power button",  so does that mean the power supply fan spins up and you do get a solid amber power light?

2 Posts

October 4th, 2009 22:00

I am also having a similar problem. I tested the power supply by jumping out power and the fan turns on, however, the only response I get from the desktop when plugged back in a yellow light near the battery on the motherboard. The machine is completely unresponsive. Have tried blowing out the power switches and looking for loose connections in the cable, but get nothing.

I would assume this has something to do with the power switch since this is the only point of failure from wear and tear. Is there a way to jump it out to be sure that is indeed the problem?

1 Message

October 26th, 2009 15:00

Im having the exact same problem, and typcially just after the warranty ran out! Is this possibly a generic fault? Any idea how this can be recitified?

No Events found!