Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2006 16:00

Dimension 3100 fighting me all the way

I have a Dimension 3100. It came with a SATA drive. I wanted to add some ATA hard drives so I got the Adaptech Ultra ATA card and I am trying to set everything up, but BIOS will not recognize both drives at the same time. It puts me in an enless loop. Please help.

4 Posts

November 8th, 2006 17:00

Yes I had the card fully installed and properly setup. I even ran the CD and DVD roms off of it with no problem. Once I plug in both drives it puts me in the loop.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 8th, 2006 17:00

Did you fully install the new card and its drivers before connecting the new HD to it? Is the card recognized correctly in Device Manager?

Ron

9.4K Posts

November 8th, 2006 18:00

Kwstantino,  does the machine perform any differently with only one of the hard drives installed?   What do you mean a "loop?"   Continuous rebooting?   Also, what do you have the jumper settings for the drives set at?  If they are Cable Select then try using Master / Slave.

Message Edited by Majestic on 11-08-2006 02:50 PM

12.7K Posts

November 9th, 2006 23:00

He has a Sata drive for the system and an add in card for the PATA drive.

Move the add in card to the other PCI slot, if it is occupied then swap them.

Check your boot sequence in the bios, be sure it is set to sata as the first boot device, if you see your controller card show up in the list, you can disable it from being a boot device, I recommend to do this also, save settings and exit bios
No Events found!